1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

greatest NHL goalies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, Nov 11, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My favourite Gump quote. When he was with the sadsack Rangers, a reporter asked him, "What team gives you the most trouble?" Gump's reply, "The Rangers".

Gump was notorious for being out of shape. One coach/GM accused him of having a beer belly.
    He replied (and I paraphrase), "I don't drink beer. I'm a whisky man".

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think hasek had the most dominating stretch in the 90's and early 2000's. I hate him and Roy but I would put them in the top three as well as Brodeur, in whichever order you like.

3. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

I'm surprised at the lack of respect for Billy Smith. Won 19 playoff series in a row, the best money goalie ever (this is coming from a Ranger fan who HATES the Islanders). Swung his stick in the crease like an axe. One game, must win - he's the pick.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

I don't think physical fitness was a top priority back in those days anyhow. I tried to find that picture of Gainey and some other Habs smoking in the dressing room but failed. :(

5. maberger

maberger Member

this.

man i hated this guy as a fan, and he was no prince when i became a pro either (nor was trots or bossy) but he was just incredible in crucible game after crucible game.

my viewing experience is late 60s through 2000 or so. i'd kinda put fuhr and cheevers together. pressed to pick i'd waffle between dryden and smith; brodeur when i watched him was a product of his system.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If one game, I'd still pick Dominik Hasek.

His days in Buffalo still ring in my ears. I staffed a game in Raleigh years ago, and four - FOUR - shots rang off the outside of the pipes. The Sabres beat the Whalercanes and left Paul Maurice shaking his head in amazement.

"There's NO WAY he knows those are going off the outside of the pipes," Mo said. I'll never forget it.

Yet Hasek almost single-handedly carried Buffalo for a two- or three-year stretch. It certainly wasn't Michael Peca or Alexei Zhitnik.

Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur certainly belong in the discussion among the modern goaltenders. And count me among the surprised that Billy Smith doesn't get a little more love in this debate.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I am hardly a hockey expert on any level, but I have covered more than my share of it. Roy is the best I've ever seen.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I still think the run he had in Buffalo is the greatest run by any goalie ever. Throw in the fact he single handedly carried the Czechs to a gold medal in Nagano in 98. A world class douche bag by all accounts but one of the best that ever played.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Three pages and no one has mentioned the 1996 Vezina winner?

I gotta go with Roy...even though he was a Canadien.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

See? We CAN agree on something. ;D
    (Thanks ... check's in the mail ... )

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

From the 80s on, I think it's Hasek. Yeah, he only won one Cup, but he played all those years with complete ass meat in front of him. Case in point - he won back-to-back Harts while playing on #3 and #6 seeds. Brodeur and Roy were much luckier.

He took mental vacations the odd time, but for my money he was more dominant than Brodeur or Roy ever were. He was certainly much better at getting in players' heads.

Also, he's one of only two goalies to win the Pearson award (Mike Liut is the other), and the only goalie to win it back-to-back. The players vote on the Pearson. I think that speaks volumes.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Al Rollins won the Hart in 1953-54 - with a 12-47-7 record, playing for a team that finished 43 points out of the playoffs.

And yet it was probably quite reasonable to have given him the award. He lost 47 games and still managed a 3.23 GAA. And five of his 12 wins were shutouts. His MVP trophy should have been a Purple Hart. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted