1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

greatest NHL goalies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, Nov 11, 2008.

1. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Roy and Brodeur. Still, I wonder sometimes how good Tretiak would have stacked up had he been able to play in the NHL.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Eh ... that's kinda like trying to fit Lindbergh into the mess ...

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Terry Sawchuk. Imagine the numbers he could have with a little more health and mental stability.

In my opinion, modern goalies might be bigger, stronger, fitter, more technically sound, etc., but until they're ready to play an entire game with no helmet, no mask and the bare minimum in padding, no way can any of them lay title to "the greatest goalie." Does not compute.

By the way, how Lorne Chabot is not in the HHOF is an absolute travesty....yet, considering it's the HHOF, not a surprise. ::)

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Brodeur is an obvious choice for me, but Sawchuk, Plante, Dryden, Hall, Hasek, Roy are all there. Roy, however, is someone I absolutely cannot stand as a person.

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Yeah, but it was quite a jaunt. Terry Crisp's house was much closer. Also full chocolate bars.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

I always remembered reading that Sawchuk died because of injuries when he fell into a barbecue pit. Wikipedia says it was from a shoving match with a Rangers teammate. Anyone know for sure?

7. Flash

Flash Guest

I don't like you very much right now.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

According to David Dupuis' book, Sawchuk, Sawchuk did get into a scrap with Ron Stewart at a pub. No punches were thrown but as his friend Ben Weiner tried to get him to calm down, stewart tripped over the barbecue pit and Sawchuk fell on him.

There was a laceration to the liver and Sawchuk never recovered from the surgery. He was in hospital for three or more weeks with complications.

The fight? It was about cleaning up the house Stewart, Sawchuk, and a couple other of the boys were renting.

9. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

First a sentimental pick: from the Broadstreet Buliies....Bernie Parent.
    Second sentimental pick: Billy Smith won four.

Real picks, in order: Bro, Roy, Has

10. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Brodeur suffers from sort of the same thing as Dryden. How good is he really? How much have his numbers been helped by the Devils team defense?

To me a great goalie has to be one who can steal games consistently. Roy certainly fits that bill but I'm not convinced that Brodeur does.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Often enough, Brodeur has had no defence ... and still has managed to hover around a 2.00 GAA.

12. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

You liked me before?

Draft saved Draft deleted