1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Moment in (sports team's) history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 23, 2010.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Clippers: .

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Along the same vein, wondering what one of our resident Cubs fans will offer up.

I'm guessing those in attendance arrived via horse and buggy as opposed to motor car.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Red Sox: Fisk's home run in 1975 or Dave Roberts' steal of second in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS?

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So . . . 38 years later you still need to change your pants when talking about it, but God forbid a Raiders person say it might not have been a good call (which I'm not saying, because I don't take joy or sorrow from games that happened before I was born)?

In-F$#%ing-Sufferable. Every Steelers fan is a genius, everyone else is stupid. I know your little shit hometown needs something to make you feel good, but maybe you could give it a rest every once in a while?

Anyway:

Raiders: Right now, it's the first Super Bowl win. But soon, it will be the day Al Davis shuffles off this mortal coil.
    Lakers: 1985 Finals win against Celtics.
    Dodgers: Gibson was great, but among long-time L.A. Dodgers fans, the Garvey/Cey group finally breaking through and beating the Yankees was pretty special as well. There's no doubt that 1955 was the greatest moment in Brooklyn.
    Indiana Hoosiers: In football, 1987. In basketball, 1976. Team was undefeated, and Knight wasn't yet nationally known as an A-hole.
    Missouri Tigers: In football, whacking the Sisters of the Poor nonconference teams by multiple scores. In basketball . . . yup, every Kansas NCAA loss.
    UCLA Bruins: In football ("In football . . ."), whenever USC loses its second game. In basketball, when the NCAA looked the other way at the Wooden/Gilbert era.
    USC Trojans: In football, I'm not sure. In basketball, when they built a new arena.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Gibson mght be the greatest moment in Los Angeles Dodgers history.

The two greatest moments in Dodgers history are Jackie's debut in '47 and Johnny Podres shutting out the Yankees in Game 7 of the 1955 World Series for the only Brooklyn Dodgers World Series championship.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Cleveland Cavaliers: Miracle of Richfield. LeBron never produced a tenth of the energy that moment did. Jordan stood in the way of the Ehlo-Nance-Price-Daughtery bunch from doing something similar.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Don't forget, Steelers lost their next two playoff games after the IR.
    The IR was an amazing moment, but I'll take the exhilaration of the Super Bowl drive over winning a first-round home playoff game any day, no matter what transpires to deliver that victory. I know the front and back end of the Super Bowl pass are both now on the outs, but that moment stands as incredible.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yup. Something magical.

Here's the way I look at the Immaculate Reception: It's one of the most iconic plays in NFL history, so it has to top a team's best-of list. To me, it doesn't matter what happened after the fact. Plus, my dad was there and said everyone was hugging in the stands.

Holmes' catch was a great moment, but was Harrison's fumble return that far off? What about Roethlisberger's tackle against the Colts? Or the Steelers surviving a Harbaugh Hail Mary ten years earlier?

Call me strange, but my memory of Steelers-Cards is somewhat tainted because Holmes just as much saved the Super Bowl than won it (capping a drive after Fitzgerald's amazingly deflating TD catch). I was more relieved than anything after that play. Doesn't help that the winning touchdown was a convergence of douche (Ben to Santonio) quite unlike anything in Steeler history.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, I left out whiny Raiders fans who haven't gotten over it. My mistake.

Give it a rest already, Piotr. It's not like I dragged in something off topic. They were discussing the greatest moment in Steelers history, which is part of the thread, and I offered an opinion. How exactly that equates to messing my pants anywhere but in your delusional mind, I have no idea.

And yes, it is ridiculous that the Raiders still whine about that call and go on with conspiracy theories about it. Truth is, by the rules at the time, they probably got it wrong. It was 38 years ago. Get the fuck over it already.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That last bit is a good point. Harris and Bradshaw are still beloved in Pittsburgh. Roethlisberger and Holmes, not so much.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

St Louis Cardinals: Slaughter scoring from first on a single with the winning run in Game 7 of the 46 Series.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Ouch. A lot of that just means Michigan has been playing football for a long time. Around the Expendable house (two App grads), we call that the best day of our lives. Daughter born at 12:20 a.m., and 13 hours later.

As far as the Atlanta Braves, I'm a little torn on Aaron's 715th, and Glavine's one-hitter in game six of the 1995 World Series. A little piece of me would also include the 1991 series. The Braves, of course lost, but damn what a series.

Draft saved Draft deleted