1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Moment in (sports team's) history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 23, 2010.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Wings: Ted Lindsay becoming the first guy to skate the entire rink with the Stanley Cup over his head. O r Lindsay getting a death threat, then scoring the OT winner in the playoffs in the Leafs, then pretending to fire into the crowd with the stick.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah I was at that game... I suppose I have a story to tell my kids one day.

"Son, this is the day your dad lost all hope in life."

Seriously though, as a Michigan fan you get used to this sort of thing. Has any big program suffered as many huge kicks to the nuts as Michigan?

Kordell Stewart's Hail Mary. (Knock the damn ball down)
    Appalachian State. (Can we please make a tackle so it's not a 2 pt game in the fourth)
    The Rose Bowl loss against Texas where they blocked the field goal but it still went in.
    The Nebraska Alamo Bowl ---- (pitch the damn ball Tyler Ecker, pitch the ball. I don't care that 150 Nebraska players are on the field. I don't care.)

3. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

I like that choice for the Penguins, especially since I was in the building that night. I can still hear the roar from when that puck hit the back of the net.

However, I'd maybe say the 1984 Draft when they got Lemieux. WIthout Lemieux, they don't win the first two Cups, and he doesn't become an owner, helping keep the team in Pittsburgh, which allowed for the third Cup. That said, thanks go to the 1983-84 Pens, who brutally tanked the season to get the top pick.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Bama: Ingram wins Heisman.

People will argue that Van Tiffin's 52-yarder to beat Auburn or the Goal Line Stand were bigger, particularly the Goal Line Stand won a national title. But Ingram brought the entire program with him.

5. Yea, I suppose that's hard to argue, considering without Lemieux, I don't think the Penguins do anything in the early 90's, and without question aren't even the Pittsburgh Penguins anymore. I guess it's in how you interpret the question. Drafting him was the beginning of a long process which yielded success on any number of fronts, from player to owner, as opposed to the goal in Game 1, which was a split second in time.

It's also why I tend to disagree with the previous post about the immaculate reception not being the turnaround for the Steelers. While he was correct, the turnaround was much more complex than just that instance being the the defining moment for the change in fortunes for the franchise . . . there is so much lore in that one moment, so many stories, and the timing, I still name that as the one defining moment for the Steelers.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

U. of California: The Play

Boston College: Flutie to Phelan

Notre Dame: Rudy makes the sack. :)

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Rudy turned 62 today.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Chiefs: 1969 AFL championship game. Chiefs had third-and-18 from their 2 and were trailing the Raiders 7-0. Otis Taylor makes a 35-yard reception in which he landed with both feet out of bounds. Refs rule it a catch. Changes the momentum of the game completely.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hard to top this one.
    November 8, 1975. Notre Dame's Daniel Ruettiger sacked Georgia Tech quarterback, Rudy Allen on the final play of the game. Ruettiger, a senior who was playing n his first varsity game, was carried off the field by his teammates.
    Ruettiger was the first of only two players in Notre Dame history ever to be carried off the field by his teammates. The other is Marc Edwards.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree with you. Logically, it should be Holmes' catch. It was an amazing catch for the game-winning touchdown in a Super Bowl. The Immaculate Reception didn't even lead to a championship. The Steelers lost to the Dolphins the following week. But there is just something magical about that play.

(Cue John Madden and every other member of that Raiders' organization still whining about the officiating even though it was nearly 40 years ago.)

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pistons: The first Bad Boys title.

Tigers: Goose Goslin drives home Mickey Cochrane with the winning run in Game 6 of the 1935 World Series, the city's first championship.

Runner-up, Game 7 in 1968.

Lions: 1953, Bobby Layne drives the field with 3 minutes left for 17-16 win over the Browns, the team's second NFL championship in a row.

Bobby Layne remains one of the great unmade sports biopics.

12. What's amazing about Holmes catch is that there may be an argument about what was better, the catch or the throw, both were outstanding. And then throw in the 99-yard INT for a TD at the end of the half, which could be argued as a 14 point swing, or at the very least a 10 point swing . . . so may things about that one game alone. But I digress, don't want to make this a Steelers-jack. Don't want to piss in anyone's Wheaties. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted