1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Moment in (sports team's) history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 23, 2010.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Chiefs - "What I tell you boys? 65 Toss Power Trap! Yeaahhh!!"
    Royals - Dane Iorg's Game 6 single in 1985.
    Kansas - Mario's Miracle.

And let me expand on your post Jake.

Mizzou - Any Kansas NCAA Tournament loss.
    K-State - Any Kansas NCAA Tournament loss.

2. Honestly, I think Lemieux's goal to cap the comeback against the Blackhawks with just under a minute left in Game 1 of the finals against Chicago in, 92, I think. The place just erupted when he scored. I know it was building (I think the Pens were down 4-1 at some point, and Jagr's tying goal while skating around four blackhawks was also big in that game, but Lemieux's goal was the game winner, and the crowd reaction still gives me goosebumps. And I can still remember Mike Lange's call to this day, word for fricken word. "Puck is free, out rightside Murphy shooting save made, rebound by Lemieux . . . heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee shoots and scores! Mario Lemieux and the Penguins lead 5-4 and you'd have to be here . . . to believe it." :)

And I understand thinking it would be the first cup, but it was so anticlimactic . . . they drilled the North Stars in that game, so there was absolutely zero tension in that game. They knew they were hoisting the cup after the first perios was over.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Panthers: Delhomme to Smith in the double-overtime NFC playoff victory over the Rams.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Phillies: Tug McGraw striking out Willie Wilson to clinch the 1980 World Series
    Sixers: Even though it was in a losing series, Dr. J's underhand scoop around the backboard is the signature moment from those great teams of the late 70s/early 80s

Bills: Scott Norwood's game-win-... errr, Thurman Thomas' SB XXVI performance against the Redsk-... err, Don Beebe chasing down Leon Lett? :D

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Manchester United: Sheringham/Solskjaer goals to beat Bayern in the Champions League final.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

In all seriousness, for Buffalo -- maybe Frank Reich?

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

For the Mets, I'd go Mookie/Buckner, Swaboda's catch and even Jesse getting the last out against the Astros in 1986.

Jets -- maybe not as important, but Wesley Walker scoring in OT against the Fins in 1986 is a great moment.

Nets -- not too many, but maybe the win in Boston in 2002 to make the Finals or the 2 OT win against the Pacers that year?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I really could go either way with the Mets one. I figured the 1969 title, since it was so out of nowhere.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This one's for BYH....

George Mason hoops: 2006 Final Four run.

:)

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Detroit Red Wings - Steve Yzerman winning his first Stanley Cup in 1998 after coming so close with great teams for so many years. Also, his triple overtime goal against St. Louis is up there, as is Darren McCarty's goal against the Flyers in the title game to win that first cup.

Detroit Lions - Barry Sanders' juke against Chicago. The greatest juke ever.

Detroit Tigers -Kirk Gibson. That was easy.

Detroit Pistons - Meh?

Michigan Wolverines - The punt returns. Desmond Howard and Charles Woodson, both Heisman winners (the only defensive player, and the only receiver to win the title) some 6 years apart, in the Ohio State game, in the same end zone.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Since mustang brought up Michigan Wolverines, I'll take the low-hanging fruit and counter with Appalachian State...

12. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Wouldn't Jackie Robinson joining the Dodgers be one of the greatest moments in their history? I thought it was pretty special.

I got a tough one for you guys, how about the greatest moment in the history of the Montreal Canadiens.

Draft saved Draft deleted