1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Moment in (sports team's) history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Max's two goals are not a moment.
    Roughly 15 minutes of ice time and about an hour of real time passed between the two goals.
    Not a moment.
    Gotta pick one.
    That's why I went with the Fleury save. It wasn't the greatest play ever, but he threw his body into that because he knew that was it. And you know that with six seconds left in the faceoff circle, that game was still in doubt. Your other points about that Cup win are 100 percent on the money.

2. I was ready to disagree, but I remember how bad Game 5 was in Detroit . . . how many thuggish penalties the Pens took as the game got further and further out of hand, and how the series tooka big shift during that helacious loss. And I understand how the Pens title runs were in two seperate categories, especially after the team almost left Pittsbugth. I suppose I can see how this could have been a bigger defining moment . . . on the road. If I were to pick a moment from that game, I would have to go with the Fleury save as well. The more I saw the replay, the luckier I felt that the game didn't go to OT, which I just don't see how the Pens would have won at that point.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Giants:
    1. I think it was in 1987 a divisional playoff against the 49ers, Giants win 49-3. Best play Burt sacks Montana silly and knocks him out of the game/

2. Same season, week 11 at the Vikings. Simms to Bobby Johnson on a 4 and long for a 1st down. As long suffering Giants fans, that was the turning point of the franchise.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep, beating a Rex Grossman-QB'd team in the Super Bowl. Tough duty, not -- but the Colts made the easy look hard, until the fourth quarter.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Actually, for me, Ozzie's homer wasn't even the most memorable moment of that series.

In the final game, Jack Clark hit the game winning homer in the 9th off Tom Niedenfeur. Absolutely crushed it. So much so, that the Dodger LF, Pedro Guerrero I believe, never even moved.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll submit to you that wasn't even the biggest play of that postseason. The biggest play of that season came in the SEC Championship Game a few weeks earlier.

Late in the fourth quarter, with the momentum turning in Florida's favor, Antonio Langham's 21-yard interception return for a touchdown sealed the deal to put the Tide in the championship game everyone knew (then) they'd win.

While certainly legendary, "The Strip" was no different than the "Goal Line Stand," the defining play in another national title game, and without the title implications "The Kick," "The Sack," and Cody's blocks against Tennessee. Just big plays.

Ingram's Heisman win "completed the record," so to speak. He walked through the doors of the DAC with the weight of the entire program on his shoulders. Not just one player. Not just one game. Not just another national championship, but 100 years of football tradition. It was the only thing left for the university to accomplish. And he did it. Not Bart Starr. Not Joe Namath. Not Stabler, Chris Samuels, David Palmer or Shaun Alexander or John Hannah.

It was my proudest moment as a Bama fan.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And my uncle had Game 7 tickets. Saw him rip them up and throw them in the trash after that.

And later, the late, great Jim Healy would play a Lasorda tape, "Niedenfeur my ass."

Draft saved Draft deleted