1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Live Album (CD) of All Time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Feb 20, 2009.

?

What is the greatest rock and roll live album of all-time?

1. Bruce Springsteen Live 1975-1985

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Bob Seger - Live Bullet

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Cheap Trick Live at Budokan

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Frampton Comes Alive

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. J Geils Band - Blow Your Face Out

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. The Who--Live at Leeds

9 vote(s)
    13.2%
  7. Allman Brothers live at the Fillmore East

11 vote(s)
    16.2%
  8. Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Live Rust

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  9. Fleetwood Mac - The Dance

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  10. The Band - The Last Waltz

3 vote(s)
    4.4%
  11. Mini Ditka Sings the Classics

8 vote(s)
    11.8%
  12. Rolling Stones' Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  13. Lynyrd Skynyd - One More from the Road

3 vote(s)
    4.4%
  14. Kiss - Alive

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  15. U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky

3 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Chris,

The Rolling Stones' Get Yer Ya Ya's Out HAS to be on that list, at least as far as non-bootlegs are concerned.

But there's one that's better ... Dylan Live 1966.

Historic because it documents fan booing to his electric switch, plus, it fucking rocks. Yes, it rocks. Neophytes used to Dylan the folkie would be blown away.

What's Marley's live album? Live from London? Good shit.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Even though I am a Bruce nut, the live collection is from different shows and the over-produced final product doesn't sound as good as most of the bottleg recordings of the same shows.

Stop Making Sense is probably my favorite live album.

3. I don't know who the Other 4 votes were for but I added the Stones and Skynyrd.

As a preemptive - I voted for J Geils. It's his birthday today. Happy 64th.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Springsteen 75-85 is a compilation of Live Recordings not a single recorded concert.

Europe 72 may be the best released Dead recordings, but I've got close to 100 hours of Dead shows on my ipod and I couldn't say Europe 72 is better than all of them. Don't forget LIVE Dead

Bob Marley and the Whalers LIVE
    Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison
    Eric Clapton Unplugged

Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus if I remember this is a compliation of live recordings but not a recording of a single concert. But I love Little Feat.

GOOD CALL on Stop Making Sense. I've seen the Dead, Springsteen and Santana live on multiple occassions, but the Talking Heads is still my favorite show of all time

But I'm going with Frampton. I'm of the generation that bought the album when it was intially released.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Stones' Rock 'n Roll Circus is uneven, especially the Stones themselves.

But it does contain perhaps the greatest single live recording of all-time, courtesy of The Who.

It's even better seen.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Stop Making Sense is like the Kiss Alive albums -- so cleaned up and overdubbed that it's completely unrepresentative of a live show. I mean, I know most live albums go through that process (after all, you can't cover mistakes and missing parts with 100 dbs), but you at least would like to get an idea that this is what the band might've actually sounded like.

Good call on Live at Folsom Prison. I love how it includes the warden or whomever calling out prisoners between songs.

And, Bubs, wasn't that performance of A Quick One supposed to be the reason that the Stones pulled Rock 'n' Roll Circus out of circulation for 30-odd years?

7. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Good call on the James Brown. I voted for the Allman Bros., because it immediately jumped to mind. But I would be remiss if I didn't mention one Phish show - 12/30/97 at MSG. It's a bit different, because they're essentially a live band, but Christ that show rips, and it's an actual album.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Not a full album, but it is still freeking awsome.

[​IMG]

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Great call on The Main Event -- especially with the Cosell introduction.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I voted for Frampton, because it made him a superstar.

Few times more sublime in my life, though, than smoking hash and listening to Live Rust.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This made me do a Google search, and I discovered a long-lost friend: Nugs.net. Specifically, their new (to me) Nugster. I'm downloading that show right now, 2 minutes after I read your post. Holy shit, that's awesome.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Supposedly Mick (in particular) thought the Stones would be overshadowed by both the Who and the Dirty Mac Band (Lennon, Clapton, Keith, Mitch Mitchell).

The Stones were not good live earlier in their career. "Got Live (If You Want It)" was a contrived mess slapped together by their American label. "Love You Live" and "Still Life" were lame. "Ya-Yas" was pretty good, but characteristic of most live albums of the era, sloppy and undisciplined.

Draft saved Draft deleted