1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest individual performance by a fictional athlete in a movie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Feb 4, 2009.

1. highlander

highlander Member

Real person there.

2. highlander

highlander Member

Thought I'd list a few

Stud Cantrell (William Peterson) or Jose Brown (Larry Riley) in Long Gone. Stud getting beaned to win the championship and Jose Brown belting home run after home run, including a pinch hit grand slam in his first at bat.

Kenny Lee (Randy Quaid) haven't seen it in a while so I can't remember if he wins the US Open or not.

Roy McAvoy (Kevin Costner) in Tin Cup. Don Johnson as David Simms was pretty good too.

How can you forget the greatness of Kelly Leak (Jackie Earle Haley) or Tatum O'Neal as Amanda Whurlizer.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Come on, no mention of the East Compton Clovers beating down the Rancho Carne Toros to win the cheerleading national championship and finally getting their due?

I feel shame for knowing that and will now go sit in the corner.

After one more mention.

Charlie Conway in the peewee Minnesota state hockey championship game to knock off the hated Hawks.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I love that movie, though it has been many years since I last saw it. Every year I have played fantasy baseball, I have had a team called the Tampico Stogies.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

And he didn't do anything but become a drunk and live off his days off of Bissinger's money in Monahans!

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

To expand on this: Down 8 with 18 holes to go against the two best golfers in the world. Pretty good rally.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Daniel LaRusso

Here's a kid who keeps getting his ass beat. But he learns enough karate from a 5-foot tall maintanence man in two months by waxing cars and painting fences and houses. Then he goes to the biggest karate tournament in the Valley, beats a bunch of guys trained by a Vietnam commando, fights through the pain of getting kicked in the leg and wins the tournament.

8. highlander

highlander Member

Cobra Kai Rulez!

Draft saved Draft deleted