1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest individual performance by a fictional athlete in a movie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Feb 4, 2009.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, I know.

But it felt like Lance Rentzel, too.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Easily. I don't see how there's any debate.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

He also hit a couple bombs.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Plus he outran "The Beast."

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

What was the gun number he hit? 104? 106? 108?

I know the movie was purely fantasy, but in retrospect, it was played out very well, I believe. I'm surprised it wasn't a bigger hit among sports fans than it was. "The Scout" is certainly worth the time for anyone who hasn't seen it.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I know he went higher than Vaughn; maybe 103? I'll look it up for you, Shot.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Eh. I couldn't find it. But I did run across this little gem:

Tommy Lacy: God said people make mistakes.
    Al Percolo: God never said people make mistakes; where did you hear that shit? He said honor thy mother, and thy father, and thy Yankee contract!

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Movie had just enough of an edge to it that it didn't really ever cross the line into silliness.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It was the Friday night game of the final series of the season. The Yankees needed to win to clinch; the Tigers' manager makes it quite clear several times he was playing the game to win.

No surprise he would have somebody warming up. If there was a base hit he'd probably have made a change.

And no love for Forrest Gump, or Everybody's All-American, the Grey Ghost?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Definitely not Gump. Forrest as football star came off as totally unrealistic.

Quaid ... now, that's worth some mention. The college scenes really gave you a Baton Rouge, Saturday night feel.

(Then again, I may be putting too much weight into how realistic the movie was.)

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Two words:

TEEN WOLF!!!!!

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The funny thing about that is. Former Olympic sprinter Jon Drummond has said actually used that phrase to focus for the start, and I believe he teaches it to the runners he now coaches. He said he heard it somewhere. I guess now I know where.

Draft saved Draft deleted