1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest individual performance by a fictional athlete in a movie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Feb 4, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was hoping I'd get a laugh with that line.

2. outofplace

I can't remember if the manager did that in the book as well, where it would have made more sense. A big point is made in the book about how the manager hated the Yankees, who needed the game to get in the playoffs, so he was very motivated to win.

3. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Pete Gent?

4. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

From his IMDB bio:

"While at Santa Monica High School, Charlie had two major interests: acting and baseball. Along with his friends, which included Rob Lowe and Sean Penn, he produced and starred in several amateur Super-8 films. On the Vikings baseball team, he was a star shortstop and pitcher. His lifetime record as a pitcher was 40-15."

Oh, the best TV sports performance:

My dad's four touchdowns for Polk High in the city championship game against Andrew Johnson.

End of thread (just kidding).

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry, but Reno Hightower was only the greatest quarterback in the history of Kern County....

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I didn't see that coming at all. ;)

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I seem to recall Charles Jefferson having a pretty big game on defense for Ridgemont High. Does that qualify?

8. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

as somebody wrote, "a forty year old power pitcher with no ass, yeah, that's believable..."

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No more than it did when Dan Oregon suggested it...

10. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Add that to the climactic P.F. Flyers scene, and you've got a winner IMO. Kid had wheels.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Re: FLOTG

The ridiculous "start the mechanism" bullshit ruined the entire shooting match for me.

12. outofplace

I think it was "clear the mechanism." At least it was in the book. The internal monologue worked better there, though I did like the shot where he couldn't quite get his focus back.

Draft saved Draft deleted