1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest individual performance by a fictional athlete in a movie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

400-pound Finch leaping what looked like 10 feet in the air to block the kick against Prescott in Wildcats. Or Lamar's javelin toss in Revenge of the Nerds.

2. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez hitting a baseball so hard the cover flies off.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not exactly an answer to your question, but why exactly would you ever want to watch "For Love of the Game?"

Sorry, I loved the book and watching even five minutes of that movie makes me want to punch Sam Raimi and Kevin Costner.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It was on TV, and I enjoyed it.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Interesting tidbit on World's Greatest Athlete. Pete Carroll was an extra in it.

I'll nominate Reno Hightower, who willed Taft past Bakersfield 20 years later in The Best of Times. Herm Edwards was an extra in those football scenes.

And Charles Jefferson destroyed Lincoln in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wouldn't a perfect perfect game be on 27 pitches?

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Jenna Jameson playing the back nine.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"Assassinate Lincoln" is still the greatest pep rally banner ever.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Probably one of the most realistic performances was turned in by Charlie Sheen in "Major League." He didn't actually boast a 101-mph fastball like Ricky Vaughn, but it was clocked at 85 while he was filming the movie.....apparently he had pitched all through high school and was quite good.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I always thought he had a pretty good wind-up for an actor. Didn't realize he played in high school.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Costner also has all the right baseball moves as well, especially when he slid to field a bunt, spun and threw out the runner.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Glad someone remembered Gus, the field goal-kicking mule.

First, I am the only person I know who loves For Love of the Game. I don't even like Kevin Costner, and I like him in that movie. It's the perfect movie--a sports film that women not into sports enjoy also. He actually pulls off being a big-league pitcher credibly, which is a pet peeve of mine. For example, Michael Moriarty and worse, Robert DiNero in Bang The Drum Slowly ruin a good movie by being ridiculously unathletic.

I actually liked the book, For Love of the Game, but in my opinion, it's one of the few movies that is better than the book. I say this all knowing no one else on earth agrees with me about it being a really good movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted