1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Football Movie Ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jun 17, 2013.

1. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

Junction Boys
    The Waterboy
    The Last Boy Scout
    The Blind Side
    that one with Kurt Russell because Kurt Fucking Russell rules the cinema

and Gary Busey as The Bear

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Like nearly everything else Busey did before he scrambled his brain in that motorcycle wreck, he's damn good in that role. It IS a terrible movie, though.

3. The Best of Times.
    As far as Kurt Russell movies go it was "meh."

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Uh, you uh, all know that we hand out a game ball to the outstanding player. Well, I'd like to change that. We just got word that Brian Piccolo is - that's he's sick, very sick. And, uh, it looks, uh, like he might never play football again, or, uh, a long time. And, I think we should dedicate ourselves to, uh, give our maximum effort to win this game and give the game ball to 'Pic'. We can all sign it. And take it up. Aw, sh -- Oh, my God.

5. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

I bought it purely for proof of its existence.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You know, everyone is focused on how unbelievable Mac Davis was as an NFL QB, even in the 1970s, and I agree. But even worse, in my opinion, was how much you had to suspend belief to imagine hefty Nick Nolte as an NFL wide receiver.

And I love North Dallas Forty. The book is excellent. The movie so so, but still good, just because. GD Spradlin did his usual role as the sadistic coach (reprised for another classic, One on One, in which you had to suspend all belief to imagine Robbie Benson playing major D-1 college basketball). In all those movies you have to suspend belief over the athletes, there is GD Spradlin, awesome, as the coach.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nick Nolte played tight end at Eastern Arizona JC, I believe ...

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Disagree with both points. They both did fine.
    Both actors matched the roles of the book well.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I completely understand why some of you have such problems with the realism of actors in athlete roles, but I have almost never felt the same. I also don't get unnerved by, say, 20-somethings playing high school juniors (which is common on TV).

I guess the way I see it, having a decent actor iin the role is way better than having some dumb jock play it.

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Rudy is awful.

ND40 should win.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Tomorrow we'll start tearing down the college".

Given the barren landscape that is the roster of football movies, Horsefeathers MUST be top-three. . . . and it goes without saying that it's by far the (intentionally!) funniest.

In terms of "believable" depiction of the day-to-day, North Dallas Forty rules . . . just as Phar Lap rules, vis a vis horseracing pictures . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted