1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Football Movie Ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Automatic disqualification for any movie that depicts broadcast media-style commentary being broadcast over the PA system during the event.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Unless it's about a high school where that actually happens (and I've been at more than a few).

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd never nominate it for the greatest anything, but "Wildcats" is notable for the fact that the team records every victory on a Hail Mary on the last play of the game (with the exception of the championship, when it wins on a blocked field goal).

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In that case, the high school in question is disqualified.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I have no counter argument.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The more I look at this list, the more it's obvious football movies suck. Boxing dramas and baseball comedies kick all other sports movies' asses, as genres.

Versatile's sports movies power rankings:

1. Caddyshack
    2. Hoop Dreams
    3. Raging Bull
    4. Rocky IV*
    5. Major League
    6. Rocky
    7. Slap Shot
    8. The Sandlot
    9. Jerry Maguire
    10. Field of Dreams
    11. The Fighter
    12. Remember the Titans
    13. White Men Can't Jump
    14. Rocky II
    15. Bull Durham
    16. Hoosiers
    17. Brian's Song
    18. A League of their Own
    19. Space Jam
    20. All the Right Moves

* — Rocky IV is the most wonderfully over-the-top movie of all time. I stand by this ranking and will fight anyone who disparages it.
    Note: Kingpin, The Hustler and Rounders were omitted because they are not about sports.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The great football movie yet to be made would be about rocking and rollicking Bobby Layne and the Lions championship run in the 1950s.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm surprised 1925 silent movie The Freshman (not the one with Marlon Brando) was not on the list. It's rated as one of the best silent movies.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. The question is which version of The Program? The one with the players laying down in the middle of the road or the one after the studio caved and cut it out?

Sure, much of it was silly and over the top, but in a good way.

To give Rudy a top seed and such an easy bracket, this must have been put together by a Golden Domer.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

And from the TV-is-better-than-movies camp, the Friday Night Lights show blows all these movies out of the water.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

You spelled "Cinderella Man" wrong.

On another note, it's amazing how bad football translates into movies and how well less popular sports like baseball and boxing do. That's in no way a new thought, but when all the "top" football movies are laid out, I can't help but think about it again.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You're forgetting Vision Quest, which is top 15 if not top 10.

Perfect (wrestling) complement to All the Right Moves, both really well-executed coming-of-age movies that feel real.

Draft saved Draft deleted