1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Football Movie Ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Replacements is a No. 2? Ugh...

I really enjoyed "The Program" but I consider it more of a guilty pleasure than a "great football movie"

Any Given Sunday is a steaming pile of shit.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Points 2.0 and très are hugely overstated. Both of those movies are funny and over the top and ridiculously macho in a lot of the same ways Rocky IV is. But it's not as though they're blind to it. That's intentional.

The Program pulls this off a hell of a lot better than Any Given Sunday, though. The roid rage scene is a classic.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed. Two glaring omissions. Especially since some that did somehow make the cut like Flash Gordon, Against All Odds and the Last Boy Scout were not really football movies. They were movies about something else that happened to involve a character who was supposed to be a football player.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Varsity Blues. C'mon.

5. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

The Best of Times is a way better movie that it gets credit for.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

North Dallas Forty all the way.

Brian's Song is very good, but it barely qualifies as a movie. I it's only about 75 minutes long.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

People forget that was a TV movie.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, this time I think-a we go up the middle...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Rule:

Automatic disqualification from any "top" rankings for any movie in which a night game in a professional stadium appears to occur in a venue with 90 percent of the light bulbs not working (without a damn good explanation). Also, this is an automatic nomination for "worst" rankings.

On that basis alone (but not just on that basis), The Last Boy Scout is DQd. As is The Fan on the baseball side. And something else I saw recently but can't remember (and with good reason, probably).

And yeah, I love movies and know it's an artsy thing for the director, but ... no thanks.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If they're intentionally, that's more of a problem, not less.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Necessary Roughness.

Draft saved Draft deleted