1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Dunker Ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Feb 19, 2007.

?

Who's going to be Espn's Who's Number 1 Greatest Dunker?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2007.
  1. Dr. J

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Michael Jordan

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Vince Carter

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. I know the answer because I've already seen the damn show, moron

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Dominique Wilkins

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. boots

boots New Member

Shock, we may have crossed paths. And yes, you are telling the truth about the Hubie Brown story.
    The best Doc dunk that I saw came when the Nets were playing the Denver Nuggets. The good doctor was on a fast break, went three-quarters baseline and threw down a double-pump sidearmed windmill jam over Dan Issel that forced the Denver coach, Doug Moe, to call a time out. That shit was beeeeaaauutiful.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dr J's playoff numbers his first year with Squires were sick

33 pts and 21 RBs per game.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Joe DiMaggio at Dinky Donuts.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

All this talk about dunking, and more in particular dunking in a game — on someone — got me to thinking: Is there anything better and more fun to watch in sports? I mean I love (I actually laugh sometimes) when I see a guy get crowned. I think it's beautiful.

I LOVE baseball. And I played college basketball (albeit not great college basketball, but I played good ball for a long enough time). And I'm covinced the dunk is one of, if not the, greatest things in sports — if the timing is right and the dunk is good.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr 70,

Dead on about Hawk. BTW David Wolf is the same guy who left journalism and ended up managing Boom Boom Mancini and Donny Lalonde. Foul is f---in great.

I think Wilt could have windmill-dunked a 16-pound shot. Gus Johnson coulda too.

YHS, etc

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Not only is it great to watch but the two greatest feelings I've ever felt playing sports were: the first time I dunked a basketball and the one and only time I've done it over someone during a pick-up game.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Ditto.

I only dunked on a guy once. It was the best feeling I've ever had in sports. Place went bananas.

Another great feeling was the time I shattered a glass backboard. Scared the shit out of me, but it was great.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Wow, shattering a backboard, that's crazy. Since I'm still in my dunking prime my ultimate hope is to either finish an alley-oop in a game or a one-handed put back dunk. Of course, talk like this is why America sucks at basketball in world competitions.

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

As a kid I saw Connie Hawkins play a few times during his ABA days. He seemed to glide. It was like he had skates on.

10. I find it hard to believe no one has mentioned Clyde Drexler!

I saw a highlight film on him driving the ball against two defenders.
    Dribbling towards the hoop, The Glide took the ball behind his back, split the defenders and launched to toward the hoop with a left-handed dunk.
    It was an awesome highlight.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Clark Gable in "It Happened One Night"

12. boots

boots New Member

Clyde The Glide is without a doubt an all-timer. Sorry Clyde and I appologize to you and your many fans. Dunk on my brother. Dunk on.

Draft saved Draft deleted