1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Dunker Ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Feb 19, 2007.

?

Who's going to be Espn's Who's Number 1 Greatest Dunker?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2007.
  1. Dr. J

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Michael Jordan

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Vince Carter

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. I know the answer because I've already seen the damn show, moron

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Dominique Wilkins

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Another great dunker who could do nothing else was Kenny Williams, who played with the Pacers briefly in the early 90s. (I think he was the guy who got booted out of North Carolina and played for some small school.) Incredible leaping ability, and no idea how to control it.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

One of the best in game dunks I can recall..........Kid that went to Texas, by the name of B.J. Tyler.......6'1 Guard.

Just gets out of alcohol rehab, and if you know Penders........he'll give you a chance if you can play.....so, Texas is playing at UConn.......Tyler gets the ball on the wing on a break, goes up, and absolutely destroys Donyell Marshall.......I will see if it's on You Tube, but I doubt it.

Speaking of leaping ability, and no idea how to control it...........Michael Wilson.....formerly of U of Memphis.

53" vertical

5 3

Holds the world record for dunking on a goal of (I Think) 12'6.

6'6........

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

David Thompson before he tore up his knee was the most dynamic leaper that I ever watched.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A kid I covered at a D-I men's basketball program had rockets tattooed on the back of his calves he could leap so high. He once dunked over a car. Yes, you read that correctly.

Wasn't a consistent enough shooter to make the league.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Chuck, my man, you know I respect you, but Tracy's wasn't even close. What you maybe can't tell from the photo is that Carter actually cleared Weiss. He looked like Gerald Green going over Nate Robinson, only Weiss is about one and half feet taller and it happened in a game.

Check out the vid:

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Oh don't get me wrong. Carter's was better. I just wanted to show a vid of Shawn Bradley getting dunked on.

8. standman

standman Member

How about some love for Shawn Kemp, perhaps the best dunking big man of his era.

9. If by dunking you mean jamming his unprotected jimmy into as many ho's as possible to father enough bastard kids to repopulate New Orleans - then yeah, he should get some love.

Oh wait ... he don't love them ho's

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

julius
    hawkins
    jordan

then everyone else

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I covered Kemp in the Indiana-Kentucky all-star series in high school, and he was a man among boys, before it took on its current meaning. Not that I've seen a lot of high schoolers dunk, but I can't imagine one dunking harder than Kemp did.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Shockey knows his hoop.

Shockey - did you at all consider David Thompson ahead of Jordan?

Draft saved Draft deleted