1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Dunker Ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Feb 19, 2007.

?

Who's going to be Espn's Who's Number 1 Greatest Dunker?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2007.
  1. Dr. J

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Michael Jordan

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Vince Carter

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. I know the answer because I've already seen the damn show, moron

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Dominique Wilkins

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Joe DiMaggio. End. Of. Thread. ... Well, after this.

KRAMER: Hey, I saw DiMaggio in the donut shop again.

JERRY: Uh huh.

KRAMER: Yeah.

ELAINE: Joe DiMaggio?

KRAMER: Joe DiMaggio, you know this time I went in and sat down across from him and I really watched him. I studied, his every move. For example, he dunks.

ELAINE: Joe DiMaggio dunks his donut?!

KRAMER: That's right.

JERRY: See, now I know it's not him. Joe DiMaggio could not be a dunker.

KRAMER: Oh, he's a dunker.

ELAINE: Why couldn't he be a dunker?

KRAMER: And nothing diverts his attention. Like, I'm uh, you know, I-I, like I'm sitting in there, you know. And, uh, I start banging on the table, you know, to uh, so that he’ll look up, you know, Like I'm sitting there you know and uh, *bang* (slams the table) You know, *bang* He wouldn't move. So then I start doing these yelping noises. Like, *yip* (high pitched yelping noises) *yip*. No reaction because the guy is so focused, you see, he can just block out anything that's going on around him. See, that's how he played baseball. He dunks like he hits.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

In the mid/late 70s, the Sixers played an exhibition, pre-season game in St Louis against the Kansas City Kings. Had pretty much the full cast of characters at that point: Doc, Dawkins, World B., Caldwell Jones, MacGinnis etc. The pre-game warmups were essentially a dunking exhibition that had the crowd absolutely roaring. Never have seen anything like that, before or since.

3. Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuulius Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrving...

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I just watched those Dr. J links on youtube, and most of his dunks are on the fast break and one-handed. That said, he crowns someone on almost every one of them, too.

But 'Nique put back rebounds, dunked in traffic in a half-court set, and did all sorts of things beyond one-handed dunks in the games.

5. One vote for Gus Johnson, because he deserves mention.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Exactly. Vince is right up there. And Boom, what was so "Smart Ass" about my comment?

P.S. Watch this:

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Greatest in-game dunk ever.

[​IMG]

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I think Jason Richardson is a better dunker than Vince...again, just one guy's opinion.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good call - the Honey Comb Kid deserves mention. He may have been the most powerful dunker of all.

Spencer Haywood also deserves some mention. He was breaking backboards before anyone even heard of Chocolate Thunder.

Might have missed but did not see any mention of Jammin James Worthy a fine dunker in a very graceful manner.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Great dunk, made better the color commentator laughing because he has no words to describe it.

Agreed.

As for the all-time posterized team: Shawn Bradley, Mark Eaton, and the guy in the above picture.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That's former Knick first-rounder Fredric Weis.

As much as Carter annoys me, he's a fantastic dunker.

Those Erving dunks are incredible. Look at the guys he posterized: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Walton, Dave Cowens, seven-foot-one James Edwards.

Darvin Ham was another great dunker, especially since he couldn't do anything else.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That would be 7-foot-1 Frederic Weiss, a former New York Knicks first-round draft pick. Great selection by the astute staff at MSG. ::) ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted