1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Dunker Ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Feb 19, 2007.

?

Who's going to be Espn's Who's Number 1 Greatest Dunker?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2007.
  1. Dr. J

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Michael Jordan

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Vince Carter

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. I know the answer because I've already seen the damn show, moron

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Dominique Wilkins

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Carter was 4.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

But where is Darnell "Dr. Dunk" Hillman?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shame he didn't keep the hair.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

There's another photo -- I can't Google it up -- from about 1963 that shows Wilt slamming over a terrified Zelmo Beaty, and Wilt must have the ball four feet above the basket.

While spending his year of freshman ineligibility at Kansas in 1956, Wilt was instructed by Phog Allen to do something to remedy his poor free throw shooting. After a quick look at the rule book, which said at the time that shooters simply could not set foot in the lane before releasing a free throw, Chamberlain improved his percentage to 100.00 -- by simply retreating to midcourt, taking about three strides, taking off about a half-stride outside the FT line, and dunking. Which, it developed, he could do every time. Every single time. Fresh, tired, early in games, late in games. Whenever he felt like it, he could do it. Wisely, he was told not to try this in public -- only in closed practices.

One day some opposing coaches got wind of this, and approximately 10 minutes and 300 screams of "holy fucking shit!!!" from the coaching fraternity later, a rules change was instantly rammed through to ban it.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

WHAT?!
    You can knock his game all you want, but he's definitely the best dunker of all time.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Where's the love for Daryl Dawkins "aka" Chocolate Thunder?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Dr. J in his ABA days was far and away the best .. and I'm talking in-game dunks, not just contest stuff.
    Also saw Doc put on an ungodly pregame show in the mid-70s at a summer charity game Dickie V (before he was famous) used to run in NJ ...stuff that defies description.

Nique No 2; MJ no. 3.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've read Dr. J made a dunk in an ABA all-star game or all-star dunk contest that was simply legendary, but I've never seen it. What exactly happened?

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I still say Dominique was robbed by MJ during the slam-dunk contest in Chicago. He should have won that.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What - on play station?

Instead of making smart ass comments maybe you should just sit back and listen. You really sound clueless with your NBA observations.

Go get a book by the name of " Foul" - Learn about Connie Hawkins then come back to us.

10. Which one?
    The dunk he made taking off from the foul line? Yes, he did it before Michael and in the process made Connie Hawkins his bitch.
    The one where he dunked three balls in one try?
    One the time he laid down a cuff dunk on the head of the Lakers Michael Cooper (I'm pretty sure) in the NBA Finals?
    And of course then there was the single-greatest shot in NBA history: When he drove the baseline, leaped out of bounds, behind the backboard but used his 747-wingspan to bring ball back in bounds underneath the other side of the hoop and flip the ball into the basket.
    Sorry, but Magic's switch-hand-mid-air layup ain't shit compared to Julius' shot!

Brent Musberger creamed his jeans when he called the play.

Try taking the Grand Funk 8-track out of the player before dissing Vince Carter.
    Connie Hawkins was good, but to dish Vince is asinine. Carter is one of the best dunkers of all-time.

Oz, Thank God someone else realizes Dominique got the shaft in his dunk contest against His Airness. Total Freakin' rip off. If that had contest had been held anywhere else the Human Highlight Film would have won the trophy.

A bit of a threadjack:
    How 'bout the greatest guy to get dunked on?
    My vote is Mark Eaton. Was there anybody in the NBA who didn't dunk on this man?

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Earl Manigault

12. Nique is my number one choice

In game dunks should be the only thing being discussed--contests don't mean as much to me becuase the player gets to take their time, they don't have to follow the actual rules of basketball, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted