1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Drunk Ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Feb 20, 2007.

?

Who was the better drunk?

1. Norm Peterson

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Ernest Hemingway

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  3. Ted Kennedy

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Each of us

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  5. Jones

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Churchill was scolded for drinking once and his reply was along the lines of "I may be drunk now, but I'll be sober in the morning, and you'll still be ugly."

Billy Martin once fought a marshmellow salesman in a bar. Went to court over it. The guy got cut pretty bad.

EDIT: I remember the Churchill line being said to the wife of a government official who didn't care for him. If it was said to a young lady, well that's mean-spirited and changes things.

2. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Riddick is right.
    Bill "The Fox" Foster on The Man Show.
    Ziggy Socky, Ziggy Socky, Hoy, Hoy, Hoy!
    Chugged one, chugged another.
    Then he died. Probably while drinking.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Didn't the marshmallow salesman fight cost Number One his job? He lost it seven times, I'm sure if I pick a random event in the 70's or early 80's, there's a better than even chance it led to his firing.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't know if Norm should be on there. Sure, he drank constantly but we never saw him drunk at Cheers. I think he'd win "Greatest Barfly" but we're lacking evidence of his drunkeness.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Peter O'Toole told the story once of a time when he and a friend stopped a pub on their way home from a night of getting shitfaced. After a drink or two there, the bar owner cut them off saying they'd had too much to drink. So Peter O'Toole said he'd buy the bar and wrote out a check.

The next day he went back and the owner let him off the hook, but still, it takes a special kind of drunk to try to buy a bar so he can keep drinking.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Speaking of Mickey and Billy, didn't they concoct some ultra-proof drink called Breakfast of Champions? I seem to recall this from the coverage of Billy's death.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Oh, Andy Capp, you wife-beating drunk! :D

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I would nominate Shane McGowan, but for me it's Deano.

"They named some of the suites...and the one for Dean it's just gutter-to-gutter. He likes it that way. You see, Mr. Martin falls in the street a lot."

"If we ever develop an Olympic drinking team, he's gonna be the coach."

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Poe agreed to front a textbook about shellfish for 50 bucks worth of drinking money.

10. joe

joe Active Member

Dylan Thomas.

11. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

World-class.

And according to Nick Tosches' (I think?) great bio of Martin, it was just an act.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

On Stage, it was. Before and after, not so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted