1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest cop shows

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, as Batman also noted, most long-lived shows (I would say 7 seasons or more) usually take 2-3 years to really hit their stride, then they have 2-3 seasons in their primes, then go into decline.

"Hawaii Five-O," IMO, was an exception -- they pretty much hit the ground running and their first 2-3 seasons were the best, after which they more or less slid into routine.

Occasionally, a major cast change or other shakeup can bring a second wind, with (non-cop show) MASH the leading example, although after a couple years' revitalization following the arrival of Col. Potter and B. J., things got stale again in its final couple of seasons.

Although MASH was really a different animal entirely because it began life as a yuk-it-up sitcom with a laugh track, and eventually morphed into a serious drama with occasional chuckles.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

That, and the show lasted about five or six times longer than the war it was set in.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, if you figured each episode was a single day, you were OK.

What bugged me much more was Loretta Swit wearing a Farrah Fawcett shag and Hawkeye a collar-long Beatles haircut. Nobody in the Western world looked like that in 1951-52.

4. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

No viewers give a shit about the appearance anachronisms, no matter how much people here want to believe they do.

Back to cop shows (MASH was not, BTW, unless you count the sporadic appearances of the MPs): TJ Hooker was a huge pile of shit. I forget what channel showed reruns of those, but I gave that show many chances, and it was always horrible.

5. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

The only reason to watch T. J. Hooker was a 21-25 year-old Heather Locklear.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

ChrisLong likes this.
  7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The opening credits of that show were great because you always got to see that shot of Locklear going undercover as the TV version of a stripper.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Probably No. 2 on my list of all-time favorite blondes. Linda Evans is No. 1.

Riptide likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not a cop show -- wasn't Cannon a PI?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to PI shows?

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I love 70s PI shows. The local channel used to run them in a block when I was in University.

The awesome thing about Cannon was at some point the per would insult him about being fat. Inevitably the comuppenance would come later when Cannon would use his patented karate chop to incapacitate the bad guy.

Also once saw him chase down a bad guy on the beach (followed by karate chop).

Great opening credits as well.

Also sure I can explain the plot line of every episode of Mannix.

Agree that Magnum PI has not aged well but loved that show when it came out.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Rockford was always my favorite.

Draft saved Draft deleted