1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest cop shows

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 22, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I would put NYPD Blue at the top of the list. It was pretty groundbreaking television and compelling every week.

Though I suppose it technically is, I don't think of X-Files as a cop show. I'd classify it as Sci-Fi.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who can't believe they would consider "The Andy Griffith Show" a cop show?

I loved "The Shield" when it was on, as much as you could love a tough show like that, anyway.

I like "Blue Bloods" a lot nowadays, and think it got stiffed in its absence, especially considering that "The Andy Griffith Show" made the list.

I'd also have made a pitch for "Cagney & Lacey".

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At least we didn't see Andy sitting down to dinner as often as that Bluebloods bunch.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I understand that they narrowed it to English language shows but they could have at least acknowledged that "The Bridge" was based on the infinitely superior Danish/Swedish original.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If we're going to include FBI shows, Wiseguy should be on there.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

original L&O is great; SVU is a disgrace

police squad is number one; all others are numbert two or lower

Where was Barney Miller?

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Barney is at 15? And is it true Police Squad was only SIX episodes? I had no idea.

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Bullshit list without TJ Hooker.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I had forgotten how much I liked The Unusuals until I saw the list. Was also glad to see Happy Valley make it. That's a really good show.

Having SVU ahead of flagship L&O is a joke. Anybody remember the episode with the monkey in the basketball? What did that even have to do with sex crimes?

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was at a meeting when I looked at it. Must've missed it.

'Police Squad' was extremely short-lived.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd also include DaVinci's Inquest and Intelligence.

JC likes this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Barn should have been No. 1. My recollection is it was voted the most realistic cop show on the air at the time by NYPD officers.

And Columbo is the best-written and acted detective show in TV history. What is it about a mystery that creates suspense? Who did it, how and why. Columbo gave you those in the opening scene, and yet the show was still incredibly compelling and suspenseful because of the writing and Peter Falk's portrayal of the character.

Liut and justgladtobehere like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted