1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest comeback ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Wow, she. ::)

In all seriousness, I was always taught not bring God into sports, as far as praying for a win. Pray everyone no one gets hurt during the game, but don't pray for a win. It's ignorant and it's selfish. It's a no win situation.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This was a heck of a comeback, but not on the level with the Bills against the Oilers. Somebody brought up how far Indy was down to Pittsburgh last year, but I'm not sure what the heck that has to do with this since the Colts never made it all the way back (thank you idiot kicker), though I believe that game was also 21-3 at some point.

As far as the stuff about Dungy bringing up faith, I don't mind it. I do believe it is sincere coming from him. I also believe it is pretty damn silly to believe in any diety giving a damn about a football game, but to each his own.

And as far as the "she" comment? Is JR a woman or a man? If JR is a man, I wonder whose pants he's trying to get into with that one.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

God hates Bill Belichick!

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I agree completely as a Sox and Pats fan. Although the one line I don't think adds up is saying the fans don't care as much about the Pats as the Sox (which is true). If you're making the Colts-Sox, Pats-Yanks analogy, wouldn't the comparison be Colts fans to Sox fans, and Yanks fans to Pats fans?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I was just talking about how you know a good game when you see one, no analysis needed to determine it. As far as comebacks go, that's how I feel about the Oilers-Bills. No analysis needed for me to know that's the best I've seen.

6. Boobie Miles

Isn't that the same as saying God hates himself??

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You're right, I should have said that people in the Northeast don't care as much about the Pats as New Yorkers do about the Yankees. Yankees fans took that loss much harder than I believe Pats fans are or will take yesterday's loss.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

For the record, the NFL has been around since 1921. Not as long as MLB, but a helluva long time anyway.

And no, I don't think this is quite the same thing as the Red Sox toppling the Yankees after an 0-3 deficit. That was something that had NEVER been done by a major league team (save for a Chicago city series in 1912). And the Red Sox had so many close calls over those 86 years, including, of course, one strike away in 1986, and the Aaron Boone homer in '03.

The Colts' best -- and only great -- chance to get to a Super Bowl was the '95 AFC championship game. That was 12 years ago. They've made it to one AFC title game since (now two). Not exactly a similar kind of heartbreak.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oz, wasn't your comment I was talking about. It was somebody else. I'm just too lazy to look it up.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Coming back from down 3-0 in baseball is much more of a rarity than coming back from an 18-point first-half deficit in football.

11. Boobie Miles

I can't speak for bigpern, but for me it's the general similarities, not the specifics. Both the Colts and the Sox had been in long championship droughts. Every year they made the playoffs and found a way to come up short, typically against their one main rival. In the series/game they finally triumphed things were looking incredibly bleak and they rallied to finally get past their rival in an unexpected and dramatic fashion.

They definitely aren't mirror images, obviously a lot more history to the Sox rivalry and their odds were far worse, but generally speaking there are definitely some parallels, especially if they have a cakewalk in the SB like the Sox did in the Series.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. And add in the fact that no team had ever come back from 8 points down in a championship game, nevermind 18, and it's not as common as you guys make it sound.

True, it's happened in other rounds, but those rounds involve typically inferior teams. The top four teams remaining had never let it happen before. It's still quite a feat (though, clearly, the Bills was the best comeback in playoff history).

Draft saved Draft deleted