1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest comeback ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think as far as Dungy giving rise to a wave of mimics, that cow has long since left the barn. That's why we're even having the discussion now; Dungy's comment as juxtaposed with the color-by-number first-of-all-I-want-to-thank-God platitudes that fall forth from the mouths of so many others.

And if his belief in his wife and kids were at his core, would we be upset hearing about it? If he wanted to give all glory to some old junior high coach who let him be the team manager after he was cut, starting him on the road to coaching, would we be angered if thoughts of him dominated Dungy's post-game words?

For some reason, we've taken something perfectly reasonable (not letting the government establish or give favor to a religion) and turned it into something utterly unreasonable (Fear and Loathing in Expressing One's Spirituality).

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

So, if I remember correctly, the Patriots are responsible for the two biggest fourth-quarter collapses in Super Bowl history (36 and 38), and the biggest blown lead in AFC Championship Game history. Given that they won the first two games, it's more of a bizarre stat than a telling one.

As for this comeback, it was a two-possession game at halftime, the Colts had a tremendous offense, and the Patriots defense was ripe for the picking (due to flu, injuries, age and ineffectiveness). Excellent comeback, but let's not pretend like it was a miracle.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Where the game happened is irrelevant to me, really. If a game makes you talk and talk and talk about what happened -- say last year's second-round Steelers-Colts game -- then it's simply a classic. In both cases, it's the playoffs, loser goes home. If it's not the Super Bowl, it's all the same to me.

Thus, Oilers-Bills > Patriots-Colts.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

A Steelers reference, Oz? Where'd that come from?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Shocking, I know, but sometimes the WTF response while watching the game is all the indication you need to know that what you are watching is a classic. Doesn't matter if it's regular season, wild card, second round, conference title games or the Super Bowl. You know a good one when you see one.

I know that the game I saw tonight doesn't compare to Oilers-Bills. Only down two scores at halftime, you knew the Colts could come back -- whether they did was another matter, of course, but it was at home down only two scores. Bills came back at home, too, but down 32 points midway through the third quarter with a backup quarterback? No way.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Just a thought: Does anyone know if the 77 combined points by today's winners is the highest total of any championship weekend?

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Would love to hear an NFL Films recap of that game. Complete with where-are-they-now interviews with former players from both teams.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Since we're talking greatest comeback ever. period. no mention of sport.

Kings over the Oilers on April, 10, 1982. Miracle on Manchester. First round of the NHL playoffs.

My Oilers were leading 5-0 after the second period in Game three, however, the Kings stormed back, scoring five unanswered goals, tying the game on a goal by Steve Bozek with five seconds left on the clock, sending the game to overtime. Daryl Evans scored to win it for the Kings a couple of minutes into the overtime.
    Considering the Oilers entered that series as hugge favourites (first in the Campbell conference with a record of 48-17-15 while the Kings entered as the eighth seed with a record of 24-41-15) to me that makes the comeback that much more impressive, and heart breaking as an Oilers fan.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

As for comebacks, I'm partial to "I'm rubber, you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you", followed by "I know you are, but what am I?" Never fails to drive 'em nuts.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Hockey? If the deficit doesn't equal double digits, it doesn't count.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think a team may have come back from a 2-0 soccer deficit once.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

If it was a meaningful game, it wasn't the U.S.

Draft saved Draft deleted