1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest comeback ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

And the Bills got there that year.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

How about we let people say what they want without getting upset. If it's on broadcast, well, that's the immediacy of it. You don't have to put it in print. In fact it never seems to get there. But I don't see the uproar over it all. Sports is a microcosm of life, with winning and losing, good guys and bad guys, charming guys and quite, private people. It also means some guys are religious and some don't bother with church. So what?

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

No uproar here. I just think often times it's disingenuous, and pretty much a waste of breath to say the words. Seemingly not the case with Dungy... still thought it was odd when a stadium full of fans went nuts when he thanked the Lord for the win. Although he probably could have said I killed a man yesterday just to watch him die, and he would have gotten the same reaction.

I'm definitely not fired up about it, and I don't know the Bible well enough to cite any examples from it, but I think like most things in life, some things are better seen and not heard (i.e. if your a religious person that's great, live your life that way and you'll be happy... I just don't really care to hear about it).

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

There's a lot of things I don't care to hear about, but it makes no difference to me. I don't like this idea of "you can be religious, just fucking don't say anything about it" that some people have, because for all the things we CAN say these days, why can't (or shouldn't) people talk frankly about their faith?

5. Flying Headbutt

I agree with MM here, but I also know exactly where Boobie is coming from. Most of the time we don't know how disingenuous it is, and a lot of times it probably is somewhat Pharisee-like.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I'd recommend people grab a transcript of what Dungy said. He didn't credit the win to God. He intimated that God set it up so that the Colts had to go through a lot of trials. You may think that's parsing the speech, but I see that as a major difference.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Good post.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think you could argue it was the greatest comeback in an AFC/NFC championship game, but Bills-Oilers is going to be hard to top for any game in the future. That was beyond belief.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's why I spoke up in regard to Dungy and Manning, because they claim to be born-again Christians who speak often of their faith in Jesus. If it were most other people, I wouldn't pay it any mind because for too many athletes and coaches, thanking God for a win has the emotional resonance of asking God to bless you after you sneeze.

10. Flying Headbutt

Maybe He did, maybe He didn't. I kind of go back and forth between whether or not God has that big of a role in our day to day lives. Most of the time that depends on how much help I'm asking for, haha. That's probably not the way it's supposed to work, but I always say I need all the help I can get haha.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

You guys haven't seen shit.
    When I was in 8th grade, my football team was absolutely demolishing the team from the rival middle school. I'm talking 44-0 at the end of the third quarter. Fourth quarter comes along, we've got the wind at our backs and we're starting to feel good.
    Seven touchdowns, two extra points and five two-point conversions later, we had felt the opposing school's wrath. We lost 54-44 that day, but we all learned a valuable lesson: One day, when a dude on SportsJournalists.com starts talking about the best comeback ever, we'd know it really wasn't.

Love ya Freelance.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

If you don't care what a man's faith is, why does an expression of that faith, which you grudgingly admit is basically sincere, bother you?

Draft saved Draft deleted