1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest comeback ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Freelance, tonight's game was a great comeback, no question. I kind of had this feeling though that Manning would pull it off. Hell Marv's call of the game on radio was even fairly even tempered, at a time when you'd expect a PBP guy to be on the edge of his seat.

The Reich game was over though. Just over. Hell I remember going outside to play football for a while because the game was so lopsided. To comeback like that was incredible. Both were great comebacks. But the Buffalo/Houston game was simply amazing and beyond probable. That's why it has to have the edge.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bills had a backup quarterback. Trailed by 32 in the second half, not by 18 in the first quarter.

3. fromdawntodesk

fromdawntodesk New Member

If the fact a Super Bowl was on the line outweighs the point differential, the fact Frank Reich was at QB, not Jim Kelly, outweighs the stakes. Fair?

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

From what I understand, both are born-again Christians. In which case, they're likely not just throwing it out there because it's on page 12 of the Reader's Digest It Pays To Enrich Your Quote Power book.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Frank Reich game was unbelievable.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Well the Super Bowl was also on the line for the Oilers and Bills, because obviously the loser couldn't get there.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Perhaps, although Reich wasn't your typical rusty-off-the-bench backup. IIRC, Reich saw quite a bit of action that season.

Reich also happened to be the quarterback who led the greatest comeback in college football history. Just pointing that out for the coincidence.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Watched both. Bills-Oilers is still greatest. This one was pretty great, which only shows how amazing the Bills' deal was.

9. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm sure that's true, but I just felt a little odd that Dungy began talking about who really won the game -- and I was expecting him to say the defense or the offensive line -- and he says something about the Lord, and 60,000 people went crazy. Just seemed bizarre.

I just don't see the reason for people to always mention God, but then again I'm not very religious. I'll go back to the old line, you don't hear the losing team thanking God too often.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Sadly, Northwestern allowed Michigan State to eclipse that record this year.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I don't care as much about this issue as it may seem, but just to play devil's advocate for those who are ok with all this God talk after games: I already know the answer concerning the general public, but would it still be cool with you if instead of "thank the Lord" they were saying "praise Allah"?

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yes. Yes it would. I'm sure there's a few people who'd love it if I said "NO NO NO THIS IS A COUNTRY BY CHRISTIANS FOR CHRISTIANS AND THE REST OF YOU UNSAVED TWATFALAFELS CAN LITERALLY GO TO HELL", but you won't get it from this guy. I have absolutely no problem with anyone who makes an honest expression of faith, be it mine (Christian) or not.

And Piotr: Unless I'm mistaken (and God knows it wouldn't be the first time in the last 10 minutes), the parable is of the beaten and dirty man who begs for undeserved mercy for his transgressions against his Lord, and how it contrasted with the Pharisee's "thank you, God, for making me not like that loser" prayer, and whose prayer pleased Him most (three guesses, last two don't count).

If they're being hypocritcal, that's one thing, but are people so sensitive that their hair stands on end ANY time someone says "Jesus" or even "God"? If so, then I think public discourse is the worse for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted