1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest comeback ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 21, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not when there's 45 min left for a team that avgs near 30 pts a game

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Ask Columbo, he's the expert on all things great.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yes I am.

You are not great.

An 18-point comeback to vanquish a seemingly unbeatable foe to go to the Super Bowl is great. Based on the stakes, it's clearly the best in the Super Bowl era.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Bills/Oilers still No. 1.

Although this one can't be far behind.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

How lucky I am to be alive in the last 12 months, when we've had, among other things:

* Greatest upset in college basketball (George Mason in Final Four)
    * Greatest upset in MLB playoff history (95-win Tigers over 97-win Yankees)
    * Greatest game in bowl history (Boise State d. Oklahoma)
    * Greatest comeback in NFL playoff history (today)
    * Greatest game in NFL playoff history (today)

At least, that's how it rates around here in the moments following all those events.

People, please. Perspective. Bills-Oilers is still the tops in this category.

6. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

No.
    A high-powered offense on its home field against a very beatable foe (the Pats were the road team, weren't they?) with 45 minutes to try. Biggest choke ... perhaps. Too many Caldwell drops when WIDE open and voodooishly strange decisions by New England.
    As for Nance, he was just reading the wrong script. He had his Super Bowl copy out.
    And hey, loser Eli finally gets to go to a Super Bowl. Great seats, hey buddy?
    So what do we have, 25 seasons for the almighty Manning family before their first Super Bowl appearance? Hell, Payton is the only one to even win a playoff game. Why do we have to be subjected to how great THEY are? Payton is a winner -- he was before this game and will be no matter the final score in Miami. Archie, not a winner in the pros. Eli, just a big loser (except financially, the schlub).
    The best non-Super Bowl playoff game: 1975 Cowboys Hail Mary over the Vikings. Vikes go up late, Cowboys convert 4th and 20???, then Staubach hits Pearson. Fran Tarkenton's father had a heart attack and died during the game. Also, a ref got blitzed with a beer bottle thrown from the stands in the final minute.
    Best AFC playoff game: Bills-Oilers and Dolphins-Chargers hook and lateral in 1981(?) were better. By far.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bills-Oilers for me. It better be that damn good for me to think otherwise.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Frank Reich on line one.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Damn, once again Oz and I are on the same track here. And both he and I don't give a shit about Carolina.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

No.

And let's ease up on the praise for Manning and Dungy, it was clearly the Lord that won this game. I understand that everyone feels the need to throw that in every award show acceptance speech and post game interview, but it seemed a little excessive at the trophy presentation.

11. fromdawntodesk

fromdawntodesk New Member

Be honest here. Did you actually WATCH the Bills-Oilers game? Not just the highlights. I mean all the way through.

It's really not even close.

Peyton comes from 18 down in the last 10 minutes, get back to us.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Yeah, I watched the Bills-Oilers game in it's entirety.

It was a Wild Card game. While it was the playoffs, it was not a championship game. The fact that a Super Bowl berth was on the line tonight outweighs the point differential between the two games.

Look, I realize I'm in the minority here. I'm just trying to start a good discussion about this (and other) great comebacks.

And Diego, I concur on the Chargers-Dolphins game being a better game than tonight's Colts-Pats contest.

Draft saved Draft deleted