1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Christmas music compilaton CD. Ever.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It better have Band Aid. And Run DMC.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Fellow revelers, assuming Dear Santa Moddy does one of these every year, it can't include the same chestnuts over and over. The idea is to find new and obscure stuff to include so it doesn't just sound like every radio station that's been all-Christmas since Halloween.

BTW, per the mention of "Snoopy's Christmas"...try to track down the semi-rare stereo mix of that one. It kicks.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm a faithful subscriber as well. The first one I got from the guy was absolutely awesome. I haven't been able to sample the newest hits yet, though I have it. It just seems so damn early for Christmas music yet.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jeez, butt, Christmas is TWO weeks from Monday. It is Christmas season.

The Snoop Dogg stuff made last year's CD.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm making a Christmas CD to give coworkers and friends. I'm sure it's not in Moddy's league with respect to eclecticity (is that a word?), but I had fun finding the songs, including the one must-hear in these parts every year: "Please Come Home For Christmas" by the late Charles Brown, the only version of that song I will tolerate.

One of these years I'm going to have to become a Moddy subscriber.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Moddy, in all seriousness, a must-include for a future disc is the Pearl Jam rarity, "Let me Sleep it's Christmastime."

If you have trouble tracking it down, PM me.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I made a killer Christmas CD three years ago, and am considering making another one. My must-gets for the new one include the Pogues' "Fairytale of New York" (who'd have thunk Shane McGowan would outlive Kirsty MColl?) and the TV Funhouse classic "Christmastime for the Jews" (wouldn't it be a hoot if Darlene Love sang it on Letterman this year?).
    And maybe Run-DMC's "Christmas in Hollis," even if only for that bitchin' horn sample...
    If anybody's interested, I'll run down the list on the original when I dig it out.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I heard a rap song that sampled the Nutcracker's "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" the other day while driving to work. Any clue as to who makes it? Because I sure don't have one.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If you're looking for stuff not heard on the radio, include these two:
    - "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch" - Slaid Cleaves (his cover of the holiday classic)
    - "Merry Christmas From the Family" - Robert Earl Keen

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Keen is on one of my earlier attempts.

Draft saved Draft deleted