1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Catcher in Baseball History

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 12, 2008.

?

Who do you consider the greatest catcher in baseball history?

1. Yogi Berra

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Johnny Bench

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  3. Pudge (Fisk or Rodriguez)

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Josh Gibson

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Other (please specify in thread)

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Roberto Clemente (if he chose to play catcher)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Mini Ditka

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I guess I meant by the casual fan, casty. Baseball people know Musial, of course, and they know the Yogi that actually played the game.

But I think Yogi to the casual fan is the charming old nitwit on TV, not the lethal competitor and World Series monster he was. He's not nearly as mythological a figure as he might be. His personality plays against it. On the other hand, it's interesting to me how much their "seclusion" played a role in creating the legends of Dimaggio and Williams.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think 56 and .400 had something to do with that as well.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think it's close to equal on Yogi vs. Musial underratedness.

Yogi's Q rating is high mostly because of his quotes (even all the ones he said he didn't say 8)), not his baseball. Musial's actually remembered more for his hitting than he is for anything else (harmonica?). Hard to say, really.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Of course, but how many World Series rings does Yogi have, and how often do you think about them? He's the Bill Russell of baseball, but is never of spoken of with the same reverence.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Casty,

I'm 26. The best catcher I've seen in my lifetime is Pudge Rodriguez or Gary Carter. But I also know that they're not the greatest catchers in baseball history. I've never seen Babe Ruth play, but I still think he's the greatest player of all time. Does that make sense?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Casty, I'm not sure why you're denigrating SABR on this one. They've done more research into the Negro Leagues than anybody thought possible even 20 years ago -- while the exact numbers aren't verifiable, I think there's plenty of evidence on which you can form a pretty clear opinion on the greatness of some of those players (Gibson, Paige, Dihigo, etc.)

I mean, do you not have an opinion on Babe Ruth, because you didn't see him play? Seems a little limited to base your opinions only on first-hand observations, no? Just wondering.

7. 93Devil

Berra - 15 All-Star Games

Clemente - 22 and counting

Berra was able to play with both Joe and Mickey in their primes. Berra was great, but I think Roberto might fit this a little better.

8. 93Devil

The Dodger shortstop? Sorry, I could not resist.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But who underrates Clemente?

Nobody.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

How does Clemente "fit" a discussion of great catchers?

11. Roberto Clemente was a catcher? Who knew?

12. 93Devil

Sorry jg, I just assumed that outside of Pittsburgh, he is not known as one of the greats.

Spnited, Clemente is referring to the most underrated baseball player of the modern era.

Draft saved Draft deleted