1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest catch of all time?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Game 1 of any series is easy to come back from.

Also, Mays' catch still left the Indians with first and third and one out.

This was do... or fucking die.

2. Wasn't Puckett's catch in the world series. Didn't that keep the score 0-0 until the 10th. Was it in the seventh game?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

... in the NLCS.

Doesn't trump a World Series.

Tell that to the the 1988 A's. ;D

Momentum completely changed after that Game 1 in '54. Mays's catch, combined with Dusty Rhodes' game-winning homer, completely took the spirit out of a powerhouse Indians team. The tone of a series can absolutely be set in Game 1.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Mays' catch may have been special, but to say it was vastly superior to this one is just plain ass. It's been romanticized to fucking death by the radio call.

The fact is, Chavez's catch puts some of the postseason greats to shame, like Al Gionfriddo's run into the corner at Ebbets Field, or some of Brooks Robinson's diving stops in the mid-'60s Series games. Not even close to this one.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Then his son stole that line after Ortiz' game-winning HR in Game Four of the 2004 ALCS. "And we'll see you......later tonight!"

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The Mays catch may have done that, but it didn't have nearly the technical, or athletic requirement.

I knew I should have posted that question under a different name.

You guys are funny.

I never believed that Jim Rice not getting into the Hall was because he had hurt all the writers' feelings.

I had never believed that.... until the past year on this board.

Now... I know there is no doubt about it.

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

In the 1925 World Series, Washington's Sam Rice dove into the stands for a ball to take a home run away from somebody, and the umpire called the batter out. But no one knew if he had caught it or not.

When Rice died like 60 years later, they opened a letter he had written to the Hall of Fame revealing whether he had caught it or not (he refused to answer the question when he was alive). From beyond the grave, he said that he had.

Too bad we don't have video of that one, but it must have been terrific. And the whole did-he-or-didn't-he is a nice touch.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Uhhh...what does Jim Rice have to do with the discussion of the greatest postseason catch of all-time?

You could have logged in as my dad. I'm still going to disagree that Chavez' catch was the greatest of all-time.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Pringle brings a great one into the mix.

Too bad there's no footage of that.

10. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Well, now practically no one is going to remember that catch thanks to one of the ginormous Molina brothers. Such a shame, too.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You are right.

Catch now sucks.

Sad.... but true.

Now... can Wainright establish his closer credentials for next year.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It goes into the mix as one of the great plays. But the Mets will have to rally in the bottom of the 9th for it to stand up.

Not THE greatest, for all the reasons stated.

Draft saved Draft deleted