1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest catch of all time?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Oct 19, 2006.

1. TigerFan55

TigerFan55 New Member

True, given those parameters, I'd have to go with the Mays catch. This was a great one, but I don't know about best period though.

2. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

The Mays catch is "THE Catch." That goes without saying, and he still turned around and fired a strike back to the infield. That said, Endy Chavez was still flat-out amazing. I was watching that here at work with my boss -- who is a Mets fan -- and I swear the guy simultaneously shat his pants, had a mild heart attack and jumped for joy. I'm a huge Yankee fan and I have to admit that was probably one of the best post-season catches I've seen. Wow.

The thing that will make this stand out a little more than the Hunter All-Star grab or Edmonds' dive was the timing of it. Tied game in Game 7 of the NLCS, that catch has a little more significance to it.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Columbo, if you're "considering the stakes," how the hell can you consider a game-saving Game 1 World Series catch -- that has stood the test of time with its greatness -- lower than anything in the NLCS?

Great call, BYH. Mays and Gionfroddo are both better than Chavez's.

Hell, Sandy Amoros's catch in '55 was in even higher stakes than any of those. That was in a Game 7, came in the same inning he was put in as a defensive replacement, saved the game from being tied 2-2, and helped the Bums win their only fucking Series.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Gionfriddo's catch isn't in the same league as Chavez's. That was a awesome catch by Endy -- he had to run a long way AND make a great leap into a wall. But like most, I'm not ready to elevate Chavez's catch to '54 Mays stature.

For sheer athletic ability, Gary Mathews' catch this year was a better play. Just not as high of stakes.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's among the greatest catches in post-season history, but it's not the greatest. Mays' catch is still the gold standard.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Over the shoulder catches are MUCH easier.

You guys act like NONE of you have ever played baseball.

I'll call game 7 of an NLCS bigger than Game 1 of a WS, too.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Finally.

Possibly someone who has played outfield.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Totally agree. The Matthews catch is the best effort I've ever seen an outfielder make for a ball.

Edit: I guess we should all bow to Columbo, who loves football, spends most of his time here railing against baseball but has apparently played far more baseball than any of us. This just in: Your days as the RF for Podunk High do not count in this discussion. ::)

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

LF.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't think you can say a bringing-one-back-at-the-wall catch or an over-the-shoulder, on-the-dead-run catch are "easier" than the other. They're totally different situations.

And no, I would NOT call Game 7 of an NLCS bigger than anything in the World Series. That's ludicrous.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm sick of hearing about the Jeter catch. He made the catch in foul territory, and his momentum took him into the stands. A very good catch, using excellent speed and focus. But it should never be in conversation with the greatest catches of all time.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

You're all wrong. It was Devon White in the 1992 World Series, and it would have resulted in a triple play if umpire Bob Davidson hadn't blown the call. [/looserjaysfanboy]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted