1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest baseball catch ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 26, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

By definition, a triple steal (like any steal of home) requires a fuckup/brain fart on the part of the defense.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Isn't a triple steal pretty much the same as any steal of home on the degree of difficulty scale? If you send the runner on third, might as well send everybody--you know the catcher won't be getting off a timely throw.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Even more ridiculous in the Vandy game, the pitcher was a RHP -- the baserunner is right in front of him.

A steal of home is somewhat more excusable with a LHP who may have his back turned to the baserunner, although even then the catcher or third baseman should react in time.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It was a nice catch, but that fence is a danger at that height.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This. Edmonds made many catches look hard when other CFs would have made them look routine.

I'd submit Otis Nixon robbing Andy Van Slyke for discussion ...

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

nw, I'd already looked up this clip BEFORE reading your post. I could not agree more.

7-8 years ago, my college was playing for a divisional title at home. Up two with two out in the seventh, and a guy hits it -- well, he hits it out of the park to left. The chain fence is 10 feet high. My school's left fielder got to the wall, pushed off his spikes as he scaled the chain and picked the ball clean in mid-air, about 14 feet off the ground. It was quite possibly the most amazing, and fearless thing I had ever seen.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Eight Gold Gloves in a nine-year span. Let's rip him anyway.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Jim Edmonds would have been better had he not been so white.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

As long as were mentioning nominees, I might put in a word for some of Japan's famed spiderman catches. Unbelievably, these two came from different center fielders on the same team against the same opponent only a few weeks apart:

An older classic:

And in the most painful category:

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Those are pretty amazing.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What, no love for Ivan Calderon?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In the catching it with the head category, Jose Canseco is nonpareil

Draft saved Draft deleted