1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest baseball catch ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 26, 2012.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

In the late 80s or early 90s (before Camden Yards, anyway), Cal Ripken hit a ball that an Indians centerfielder leaped over the fence for and caught, and then his momentum carried him over the fence. I'm positive that was called a home run. Anyone remember that play, or why they gave Ripken a home run? I want to say the outfielder was Brad Komminsk.

2. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

[​IMG]

Underrated because the Mets blew the game... **** Molina (bitter Mets fanboi loooser)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

shiiiiit. considering the series venue, the ground he covered in polo's center field, the over-the-shoulder-catch and the throw he made after said ground coverage and saving a run ... you're high.

4. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Immediately discounted because it's an LCC kid. [/Clarkgrad]

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Two great things have happened in sports: Mays' catch and Namath's guarantee. Nothing great happened before or since.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

At least your school had baseball. :)

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It was the greatest catch ever...before the bullpen catcher, in full gear, leaps over the fence as well.

Big whoop.

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

May out myself, but I witnessed this live (and in a moment of complete, stunned disorientation, tweeted that it was the greatest catch in baseball history.)

Seeing that catch close up ---- I was at the junction of the foul-line wall and the left-field wall ---- was as absurd as seeing a unicorn walk on to the field.

Setting aside the physical and mechanical difficulty of the catch, a factor to consider was that Salberg was at a near-full sprint. That was a risky act. That fence is short, but even a gifted athlete needs to be paying attention and concentrating to hurdle it if he is facing it. Salberg never looked at the wall. He just went horizontal, a good 40+ inches off the ground, and caught it. Had his foot caught the wall, he could have broke his neck. He also could have landed on some chairs in the bullpen.

That hit was a frozen rope, or "rod" if you prefer. It was shat upon. Salberg had to size it up in the midst of a dead sprint.

The degree of injury risk + degree of difficulty + game situation + context of him being a Kelso kid in the final tournament of a Longview-WSU-local legend made it pretty special.

But I'm just a Longview guy. As others have pointed out, our standards are low.

Passan's take was terrific.

He was not the first to call it the greatest catch in baseball history, and won't be the last.

DM me if you'd care to see some cool still images of the catch.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Greatest ever. Even Vin Scully said so. Started what would have been a triple play in the World Series, if umpire Bob Davidson had made the right call. Fuck Davidson. And fuck Mays.

[​IMG]

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

mays just told me to tell you to go fuck yourself, you canadian bastard.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How is it not a home run? He didn't catch it in the field of play.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I agree, Salberg did make a terrific catch, and it was a fantastic play all the way. Wary of automatically stamping anything the best ever, though. Especially right away.

Draft saved Draft deleted