1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest American rock band

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 20, 2008.

1. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Grand Funk Railroad.

They're an American band.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Eclectic. But no Cleveland bashing will be tolerated.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm going to throw Red Hot Chili Peppers out there. I believe they've had 11 number one hits and as evidenced by Stadium Arcadium, they are still going strong. I think they have to be considered along with Pearl Jam for best of the last 20 years.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've always thought CCR was the greatest American rock band. John Fogerty proved to be one of the greatest American songwriters of any era. Their music just fucking rocked.

Many other great ones have been mentioned and I'll throw out four others for consideration: J. Geils Band, the Allmans (with Duane), ZZ Top and the Brothers Ramone.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Ramones a close second after Springsteen/E Street.

Alway thought the Geils band was underrated, mainly because of the success of the mediocre "Centerfold." Early 70s Geils rocked.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We had a discussion in the office several years ago. Top three American bands of all-time. One of our parttimers, who isn't the brightest porch light on the block, immediately says "Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who." Uh, those bands are from England. "Oh, how about Kool and the Gang." And he's been with us for 15 years. Any wonder why he's still parttime?

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Grateful Dead

9. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, if only because their live shows are beyond anything the other big names crank out.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers belongs in any discussion.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I say this as a Springsteen fanatic (90+ shows and counting) .... should we be considering Bruce & the E Street Band, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band, etc. BANDS in the same sense of a band that CCR, the Doors, Aeorsmith and REM are bands. Petty put out a solo album, Bruce has toured twice solo and with two bands (92-93, Seeger Sessions) besides the E Street Band.
    The other thing that might disqualify the E Street Band from this discussion.... only one Springsten album has been released as Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band (Live 1975-85). Every other album has simply been released as Bruce Springsteen.

11. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

But you know as well as I do, his shows with the E Street Band are like nothing else.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think so, because in most of the other examples you cite, the bands have one dominant leader (CCR/Fogerty, Doors/Morrison, Aerosmith/Tyler, and REM/Stipe), and the distinction between them and groups such as Bruce/E Street, Petty/Heartbreakers and Seger/Silver Bullet is mainly semantic.

If you wanted to go with "bands with no one truly dominant personality," I guess you'd have to go with the Eagles, The Band, and probably the Dead (although Jerry was close to 'the leader' of the band).

Draft saved Draft deleted