1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest American rock band

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Since we're in a musical mood, who is the greatest American rock n' roll band? I think it comes down to five, in no particular order:

1. Aerosmith --- Had two distinct successful careers, with the second coming when every member was in his 40s.

2. Metallica --- Took metal to a whole other level, even if everything they've put out since 1991 sucks.

3. The Beach Boys --- Really only had one great album, but man, was it a great album.

4. CCR --- Very short career, but hugely influential. Might be tempted to switch them out with The Doors, for the same reasons.

5. Nirvana --- Created a musical revolution almost single-handedly (though I guess Pearl Jam gets an assist). As much as I love Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, I have to say Nirvana supercedes both.

For the record, I consider Jimi Hendrix a solo artist, though the Experience was technically a band (though only Jimi was American). Same thing with Buddy Holly and the Crickets, and some others you might bring up.

Anybody obvious I'm leaving out? Discuss ...

QUICK EDIT: Some will bring up the Grateful Dead, though I consider them more of a cultural phenomenon than a band. Music was pretty far down on the list as the reason a lot of people went to their shows.

2. 1) The Beach Boys.
    2) The Allman Brothers
    3) Creedence.
    3a) The Band. NORTH American, anyway.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

REM.

Rolling Stone magazine agrees:

[​IMG]

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Probably really doesn't qualify, but you've gotta love Bruce with E Street...

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Indeed, I'd put Springsteen & the E Street Band, as well as Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers on the list.

7. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

Shouldn't be a surprise that I concur with this.

8. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

I'll throw in a vote for Pearl Jam as well.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If that's the case, tape trading wouldn't have been as popular. And they would not still be releasing concert recordings.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Disagree about the Dead. You can't get more American than Workingman's Dead, American Beauty, Mars Hotel. A purely American sound. Jerry Garcia played in a jug band before the Dead and those influences never left. They covered Merle Haggard and various blues artists. They were "roots" and "Americana" before the terms existed. CCR, same deal, shorter span. I'd say when you hear the Allmans, you think more "Southern" than an all-encompassing "American."

11. Mira

Mira Member

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Guns & Roses, Nirvana, The Doors, The Beach Boys, Aerosmith.

My top 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted