1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest American band in history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jerry-atric, May 30, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Picture it:

It is the winter of 1989. A young boy buys a cassette, “Full Moon Fever,” after hearing the smash hit song, “Free Fallin’.”

“Full Moon Fever” contains many great songs, including the smash hit song, “Runnin’ Down a Dream.” Many years later, that young boy listens to “Full Moon Fever” after the tragic news of Mr. Perry’s death. He still loves it. Imagine that!

Tom Petty and the “Heartbreakers” is my number 3 band.

maumann likes this.
  2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I Won’t Back Down was the song of the Detroit Newspaper Strike

maumann and Jerry-atric like this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I got to where I loathed "Full Moon Fever." I worked at a radio station, and every new song from that album that dropped was seemingly on every fucking hour. I got soooo sick of it. And I still don't really care for that album.

But I pretty much liked/loved all his stuff that came before that.

maumann likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Bruce and E St.

Petty and the Heartbreakers.

The Allman Brothers.

The Dead.

You can't go wrong with any of them.

maumann and Jerry-atric like this.
  5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Agree that none of the "and the" bands count. And I'm sticking with rock bands:"

GNR
    Metallica
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Pearl Jam
    Grateful Dead
    Soundgarden
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Nirvana
    Aerosmith
    Van Halen

Those are my top 10 in no particular order (except GNR is my #1). Eagles suck hard. R.E.M. has always bored the fuck out of me. I saw them at the Palace of Auburn Hills in 1995 and it had all the energy of a teal-era Pistons-Cavs game on a random Tuesday night in February. Just awful.

DanielSimpsonDay and Jerry-atric like this.
  6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Maybe though I should make room for the Flying Burrito Brothers in my Top 10. Love Gram Parsons. Or the Allmans. I could replace VH with the Allmans.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I saw that tour too. You were too late. I saw REM in their prime and they were brilliant. By '95 they were running on about 60% energy.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

You have to have the Beach Boys in there somewhere.

qtlaw likes this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Guilded Palace of Sin is a masterpiece, except for "Hippie Boy." Burrito Deluxe is a double at best. Replace "Hippy Boy" with "Hickory Wind" and GPOS is almost perfect.

X-Hack and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I really think of them more as a singing group than as a “band” per se in the truest sense. Other than Brian Wilson’s multi-instrumentals, they relied heavily on session musicians with very limited instrumental contributions from the others. I’m not sure Carl, Dennis, Al or Mike contributed anything other than vocals on Pet Sounds. Brian was a genius but they weren’t really a band. He could have done what he did without them.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It was also played over the closing credits of that HBO movie "Recount," about the Bush-Gore election.

12. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking of them more for their early ground breaking stuff that is still incredibly catchy. Maybe it’s dated, I don’t think of it as such, just fantastic songs. They, too, can thank Chuck Berry. Still, they toured almost constantly and played their own instruments, albeit supplemented with an extra guitar often.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted