1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greater impact -- Pearl Harbor or JFK assassination?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 7, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

... discuss

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Pearl Harbor got us into a, you know, war and stuff.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There are those among us who believe JFK did, too, only less overtly.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

... that eventually led to the death of the oldest Kennedy brother, so it's a draw. They are equally important.

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Pearl Harbor, without question.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Then why are there so many .. books about the JFK thing, huh? Clearly it was a bigger deal. I said "draw" earlier, but the more I think about it, JFK was clearly more important. I mean, a guy died, alright?

If you don't believe me, go ask that scary ass homeless guy in Dealey Plaza that sells those shitty books he printed at Kinkos . He knows.

Geez.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

My psychobabbulous take:

JFK's assassination tore off the blanket of domestic safety that many Americans in the 48 contiguous had always felt.

It was the touchstone, bridging event that took us from Leave it to Beaver pre JFK days to the dirty, unkempt, violent America we have become.

8. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Well, it exposed that America. It was always there.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

this is like comparing athletes from different eras. great fodder at the bar, but you can never convince the other guy you're right.

for those who lived through pearl harbor/ww II, that was a defining moment that turned the u.s. into a superpower.

for those of us who were young, the jfk assassination/vietnam/'60s were similarly a reshaping of life as we knew it.

a debate no one can win. my .02: why even try?

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Since I was born some 10 years after JFK's death, I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask, but I'll say JFK's assassination because it altered this country more than Pearl Harbor.

We were going to get engaged in World War II, all Japan did was expedite our entry. Who knows what would have happened had JFK lived?

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Not to call you out on such a big day, but -- bull.
    If Americans felt so safe pre-JFK, why were their air raid drills, bomb shelters and communist hunts?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Both were certainly watershed events, like 9/11, the 1929 stock market crash, and the fall of the Berlin Wall were.

For popular impact, I'd say JFK because we saw it on television (well, not me, I hadn't been born yet.)

But geopolitically, Pearl Harbor was far more impactful. It got us into the war, which resulted in the liberation of Europe and the Pacific and the establishment of a world political dynamic for the next 50 years. It transformed the U.S. into a superpower.

We were playing NFL games 2 days after JFK's death. Take that for what it's worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted