1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great WSJ article on the recruitment of Lil' Romeo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bill Brasky, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Don't know if this is a d_b, but this is a good story. Between this and OJ Mayo, Tim Floyd looks sleazier and sleazier.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB120485166974418241.html?mod=%28_pageid_%29_topbox

For those of you who don't want to mess with the link, the story is about USC basketball recruit Romeo Miller. He's an actor/rapper and the son of Master P. He's also close to Demar DeRozan one of the top high school players in the country. Miller got a scholarship to USC, even though he's been injured a lot, his numbers aren't that hot and no other big schools were looking at him. There's also all this talk about how the Millers let DeRozan hang out in their Bel Air mansion.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't find blame with either party in this case. A no-brainer and completely within the rules.

3. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

If Tim Floyd wants to waste a scholarship on a player who isn't good enough to play for most Big West teams, I say let him.

4. Dangerous_K

Percy went on ESPN this summer and said that if Romeo wanted to be "the next Allen Iverson or the next Will Smith" he was capable of either. So Percy is basically the prep school parent with delusions of grandieur of his/her child, which I'm sure all of us who have had to cover high schoolers at some point dealt with in newspapers. Just on a grander scale.

And I have to agree with Romeo. His game will indeed speak for itself. I do feel bad for the Canadian kid in all of this.

5. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Completely agree. Seems like this would be a trick as old as scholarships. Give the star's buddy a scholarship to get the star. I guess what you're saying is the star is worth two scholarships.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Think anyone's told Percy that his son averages only 8 ppg on a HS team that finished dead last in its conference, and that Scout gives him the lowest possible 1-star rating? A one star rating usually means that you get NO scholarship offers from any D1 schools, much less from a Pac 10 school. Romeo has no more chance of being the next Allen Iverson than you or I do.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It's a "no brainer" to use one of your scholarships on a player who's clearly not good enough to deserve one?

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

How many college teams have a 12th guy that's never going to do anything except play in mop up time? He might be a marginal recruit, or a good recruit who just didn't pan out, or he might get injured, whatever. This would just be another one of those guys, except he would put asses in the seats and perhaps write a rap song to play when the team runs out on the court. Plus he brings with him a stud recruit.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Between this and OJ, Tim Floyd is sure seeling his soul, no?

10. Dangerous_K

A valid point, but you also have to consider how many of those 12th men have fathers with millions of dollars and the ability to get a national platform to air his grievances if (or more appropriately, when) things don't go his way? Considering the outlandish claims and the indignant attitude to skepticism Percy has exhibited the last year, this is the hoops version of a political thread on SportsJournalists.com: guaranteed to not end well.

DTGDSN!

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

First of all, I don't see Master P's wealth as relevant to the discussion. Second, what platform does he have? Is he going to write some bad lyrics about Tim Floyd? Absent that, he's like any other college parent. He can get quoted in the newspaper about his son not getting playing time, but he'll just look like a jackass.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I understand the reasons he did get it--it's all about his connection to money, fame and other recruits--not his actual ability. But I still wouldn't call it a "no brainer" given that you only have 13 of those scholarships to use and the PR backlash that could easily result from this. And, like someone else mentioned, just wait until his powerful mega millionaire daddy with delusions of grandeur starts bitching about his son not playing.

But isn't it nice to know that athletic scholarships are being wasted on kids who: 1) aren't very good and thus don't deserve it; and 2) are filthy rich and thus don't need it. Meanwhile, there's some kid out there who's dirt poor and a helluva lot better player than Romeo that's gonna get screwed out of a scholly because of this.

Draft saved Draft deleted