1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Whitlock Column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Nov 29, 2007.

1. I usually do not like him, but I have to hand it to him with his Taylor column, he spoke the truth. Super man dat ho? What the hell is that?

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Superman dat ho, according to UrbanDictionary...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=superman+dat+ho (NSFW)

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Nice urban dictionary link. How about one to the Whitlock column?

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We've already got four pages on this on the Sean Taylor thread.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My first roommate in college has a cousin who told me an interesting story. She and her boyfriend got into an argument one night, and she fell asleep. Apparently, her boyfriend was so mad, that he masturbated and blew his load into her hair while she was in a deep sleep. She woke up the morning and found ... well, the hair gel.

I said, "What did you do when you found out?"

Her exact words: "Well, nothing, really. I deserved it."

I still don't know what would possibly warrant that brand of justice.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This column has been well covered in the Taylor thread on the S&N board.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, but some of us have avoided that thread, knowing what it could turn into

so here's whitlock's column

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7499442#

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Thanks, Hoops.

9. Black KKK is still ahistorical soundbite gibberish.

10. jaredk

jaredk Member

Under Whitlock's column, a Foxsports reader cited U.S. Department of Justice statistics compiled by the FBI that seem to put the lie to Whitlock's contention that the hip-hop culture has raised the level of black-on-black violence. I went to look at the statistical table.

It shows:

In 1976, black-on-black homicide accounted for 47.5 percent of all homicides. That's a disproportionate number, near obscene. It shows that the minority black segment of the U.S. population (12.5 percent?) accounted for almost half the nation's homicides.

In 2005, after a generation of hip-hop/gangsta culture et al., the black-on-black homicide rate had fallen 5.3 percent. Still terrible, still a disproportionate number, but the number suggests that the gangsta culture had no startling effect other than to induce in Whitlock the hallucination of black men in hooded sheets.

Meanwhile, the percentage of all homicides that were white-on-white rose 1.1 percent. Maybe they had been driven to rage by all that Barry Manilow noise.

Other interesting numbers: Total homicides from 1976-2005 fell from 14,432 to 10,660 with both white-on-white and black-on-black homicides decreasing about 25-30 percent.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Mere facts are no match for moral thunder.

12. Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted