1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great way to start the week

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Apr 6, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I got up this morning, well rested for once, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

I usually go to the gym first thing in the morning. I have a morning routine. After I get my butt in gear, I put on a pair of lycra compression shorts and my gym shirt and throw a pair of pants over the lycra shorts. Then when I get to the gym I switch the pants for a pair of gym shorts and switch my shoes for a pair of sneakers, so I can exercise. I carry my outfit for the day to change into after I work out.

I got to the gym, started unpacking, took off my pants and realized... I had forgotten to bring my workout shorts. I haven't done that in a long time.

I was way too self-conscious to head to the floor and exercise in just a pair of lycra shorts with my junk bulging through (very small bulge, but still). So I head downstairs... The overpriced store across from the desk doesn't open for another hour (which is probably a good thing, because I would have paid $40 for a pair of gym shorts there, and I may have actually done it, because I just wanted to exercise. But then I would have realized I was an idiot later and been pissed.).

I ask the guy at the front desk if he has anything. Bubkus. He tells me to ask the locker room attendant. I lurk around the locker room, looking like the creepy guy who lurks around the men's locker room, until I find the attendant. He laughs at me ... and then tells me he had some sweatpants last week, but he gave it to the lost and found and now they're gone. Which is for the best, because did I really want to wear someone's unwashed sweatpants?

So I throw my pants back on, pack up my stuff, and go to the Duane Read (pharmacy) across the street. It's actually open that early. Salvation! Um, no. They don't have shorts or sweatpants. They do have Hanes boxer briefs. I actually gave it some thought, but then I realized that would be creepier than the lycra shorts.

So I decide to head home, shower, skip the workout and just feel crappy about the start to my day. On the way home, it starts to rain. I have no umbrella, of course. But I still figure I'll stop at this CVS that is just a little out of the way and load up on a list of things I need (I wanted to hit the CVS, because I had $10 worth of coupons from my ExtraCare savings card). Unlike the Duane Read near the gym, though, they don't open until later. Locked door. Of course, it starts to rain harder.

So I went to the gym and didn't exercise, went out of my way to a store to buy frickin toilet paper and the store was closed and I got soaked by the rain. But I hear all of that is good luck. ...in Haiti.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Could you have done some push-ups and sit-ups at the house?

I mean, I know you want to get buff, and all. But something's better than nothing.

3. The Big Ragu

Yeah. I did some crunches before showering. And I will find a way to get something more in later. But I run on a treadmill for 45 minutes and I am almost Rainman-like about the rest of my routine at the gym. I get thrown off easily. If one thing is out of sync, I get flustered.

The sad thing is I have a permanent locker at my gym and I used to keep a spare workout outfit in it because this has happened to me before. I think I may have worn it a year ago when I forgot my clothes and I never replaced it.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I understand the spare clothes in the locker. I keep a complete uniform -- boots, hat, everything -- at the gym because I live about 25 minutes from post. If I forget something, it's not easy for me to turn around and go get it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you were Mikey or Chef, I would have suggested castration as a quick and inexpensive solution.

6. The Big Ragu

It continues. I just needed to buy a very specialized item for work. Before buying it from a retailer, I check eBay and the same item is on sale for less money. So I buy it and I mindlessly click through to Paypal--which I haven't used in a year--to pay for it. It's paid for... congratulations.

And then I realize my Paypal account is linked to a bank account that I drained and never use anymore--and it's the only bank account I have without any overdraft protection. I check. My balance is $22.60. So I had to drop everything and hit an ATM to get cash and run over to that bank to deposit enough money to cover the debit.

The woman at the bank told me I had till 5 p.m. to get enough funds in and Paypal may not have posted it until tomorrow. But I was cursing the whole way over to the bank because I am busy today.

What is it about days like this where you can't do anything right?

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I think you need to start your day over. Go back home, get your gym stuff and go work out.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If that works, good for you. My bank charged me once when I put the money in by 2.

9. The Big Ragu

Ace, Definitely worked. When I made my deposit, Paypal still hadn't posted. And I deposited cash. She told me I was good to go.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

See. You're having a great day!

11. The Big Ragu

You are such a glass half full guy. Full of something. ;)

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I didn't think Duane Reades ever closed.

Draft saved Draft deleted