1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great views from the plane

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zebracoy, Feb 4, 2008.

1. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Atlanta to Miami, we hit the florida-georgia state line right at dusk, and was on the west-facing side of the plane. we flew directly down the gulf coast of the florida panhandle, watched the sunset and then see the lights of the coast in a big line and then pitch darkness.

Usually on a plane i have to read a book or a magazine or take a nap, but i just sat and watched the scene for the entire ride. Truly a neat experience.

2. jadzia

jadzia New Member

I agree with the poster who mentioned Berlin (Tegel Airport.) Seeing the obvious architectural differences in what used to be East and West Berlin was fascinating.

Zurich was nice, not so much directly over the city, but on the approach, you can see all of these quaint village communities which were spectacular, particularly when I was visiting and everything had a light covering of fresh snow.

Flying over Greenland is really breathtaking. The jagged mountains, massive piles of snow, and the occasional tiny villages were truly unique.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I don't remember Oakland being that way. Then again I've only flown there once.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Freeze-framing the video, the wheels can't be more than 25 feet above the ground when it crosses the beach and the roadway.

Knowing there are some trucks which can be 12-13 feet high, I think I'd make sure I was a couple hundred yards down the street when I saw one coming in.

5. Boston definitely looks like you're going to hit the water before you hit a runway.

I've also heard Huntington, W.Va., is interesting. The airport is on top of a mountain or some such thing.

Although it no longer exists, the landings at Kai Tak airport in Hong Kong were in a league of their own.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Agreed about Philadelphia scaring the hell out of people when flying in. First time I flew back into the area, I thought we were going for a dip.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I'll echo the flight over NYC into LaGuardia. I was on a flight that went directly over mid-town heading in. We were low enough to see everything, and with the lights everywhere it was really stunning.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Flying into New Orleans has a sort of similar feel to some of those east coast airports, you get real close to the Mighty Mississip before landing. Omaha and the Missouri River are like that too.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sit near the flight attendants' jump seat. Then hope one of them is under 50 and you can see up her skirt. Takes your mind off the terror of flying.

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Those colorful grids are due to the way irrigation breaks were formed on ranch land around the turn of the century. My great grandfather helped lay some of them and the Phoenix mile grids.

If you're flying over NYC today, you might catch the ticker tape parade for the Giants in lower downtown. The city hasn't had one since before Sept. 11. It'll take place not far from the massive hole. It would probably look pretty cool, seeing clouds of tape from seat 3A.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

as long as you don't catch a microburst.....

Probably the most dangerous big-city airport in the US

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yep, that's pretty much how it is. Great view of the harbor/city out the west-facing windows, though.
    And I love flying over NYC. A bunch of times I've had a flight that takes you directly over it. Fascinating.
    Strangest airport to fly into: Denver. You think you're arriving in a big city, but when you're landing, especially coming from the east, you see nothing but prairie. Then, of course, comes the hour-long schlep into town.

Draft saved Draft deleted