1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great views from the plane

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zebracoy, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I don't get to see much these days, because the wife takes the window seat, but one of my favorites was flying into Salt Lake City, seeing the shimmering lake and the mountains before we banked to land. Beautiful.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That is insane.
    You'd think people would get sucked up into the plane or something.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Those pictures are terrifying.

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I tried to find the video and can't but it shows people kinda getting blown around a little.

I will keep looking.

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Found it.

http://www.mediaflix.net/video-Insane-747-landing.aspx

Crazy.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Newark is good when you're approaching from the north; great views of NYC.
    Fort Lauderdale from either direction: all ocean/beach views or, as one post noted earlier, the stark change between the Everglades and the western suburbs. And I always look for my old house.
    Dallas can be pretty good at night.
    I've always liked the approach over the lake at O'Hare.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn, that is freaky. I wonder how high it is above the beach when it passes?

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

What airport is that? How is that possible? You land even a little short and you're going to vaporize a bunch of beach-goers.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've landed in St. Thomas. It's a similar sensation, except that the short runway stops at the base of a mountain. So you've got ocean on one end and a mountain on the other.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember reading somewhere, a while ago, about that St. Thomas airport. As soon as you get airborne you have to make a hard turn to avoid slamming into the mountain. Sounds like loads of fun :eek:

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've flown in there before. It can be a little more exciting than you'd like.

That video is insane.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Anybody else notice that the dude standing in the foreground in the first Air France picture is buckass nekkid?

Draft saved Draft deleted