1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great, undiscovered golf courses in the USA

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Oct 19, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have a new favorite course.

I was driving along I-81 in Virginia this week, and I noticed that I had some time to kill before I needed to check into my hotel. A habit I have kept from my college days working at a Country Club in the SW is to always have your golf clubs in your car and always have your bag ready to play (glove, shoes, socks).

My Garmin took me to this course... http://www.thevistalinks.com/

The fee was 37 bucks and it was in better condition than the CC I worked at that had Joe Black as a member.

If you are ever in Central Virginia around VMI (another hidden gem), I highly reccomend this course.

So what other courses (40 bucks or lower for 18 + cart) can be shared?

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Buffalo Dunes Golf Course in Garden City, Kan. Fees are about $35 for 18 and cart. I don't miss living in GC, but I miss that course. Every family member and friend that played that course agreed it was one of the best they've ever played on.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Redlands Mesa in Grand Junction, Colo.

4. Buffalo Dunes is an outstanding golf course. You never would expect such a place in Garden City.

Heritage Hills in McCook, Neb., which isn't far from Garden City, also is a stunner.

And Iowa -- yes, Iowa -- is full of outstanding, inexpensive golf courses. Spirit Hollow in Burlington might lead the pack.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Aren't they all discovered now if you are talking about them?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Discovered by the members of this board.

Not John Q. Public so to speak.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

All of these are near notable private or high-end golf courses:

1. Bayonet Point in Monterey, Calif. Vastly less expensive alternative to nearby Pebble Beach.
    2. Duck Hollow in Uniontown, Pa. In a small mountain range, a short spit from Nemacolin Woodlands (where the 84 Lumber Classic used to be played). Usually in good shape, nice mix of short and long holes, spectacular scenary. The view from the elevated tee of No. 15, a par-5, is gorgeous. Also, the first club pro job for Mike Furyk, Jim's Dad and teacher.
    3. Aiken Country Club, Aiken, S.C. About 30 miles from Augusta, Ga. Great old course.
    4. Ponte Vedra Golf and Country Club (used to be called Oak Bridge). Across the street from the TPC Sawgrass. Short, tight, but in good conditions and playable.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My two favorite Texas golf courses and admittedly I haven't played in much of the state:

1. Gaines County Golf Course in Seminole, TX. Outstanding public course, especially for some random tiny town to have.

2. A course in North Richland Hills. Can't remember the name or the exact price (under $40 though). It was just stunning and ridiculously hard for a not-so-great golfer like myself.

If you are in Fort Worth, I would definitely check out the North Richland Hills course. It is about 10 minutes from downtown.

Draft saved Draft deleted