1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great to watch/play, awful to cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thesnowman, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Tennis. God freaking awful to cover, especially if you have to keep your eye on multiple matches at once. There's a reason my mind is on chicken wings in the instances I've covered it.

Strangely, I hate covering or watching swimming, but enjoy track.

2. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

For me, 25-inning college baseball games. Great to watch from home, terrible to be at.

3. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

both working and playing. I feel bad for the guys papers who were looking for the gamer on that bad boy. And really, I feel worse for the kids playing. Can you imagine being the bat boy or some scrub at the end of the bench after 20+ innings? No thank you.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hate to cover? Dude, that's like the Holy Grail of gamers. You get the match over in less than two hours, have your gamer written in progress, and just plug in your quotes, file, and be at the bar before it's all the way dark. The only thing better is a 1-0 fastpitch softball gamer.

5. you're bragging about showing up late for events you're supposed to be covering?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Second vote for tennis.

Cross country depends if the people running the meet take two minutes or two hours to get you results.

I actually didn't mind swimming. Meets seemed to move quickly and I'd grab a snack during the million-yard freestyle or whatever the really long event was, which always had some straggling kid taking forever to finish.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Watching the wrong meets then. Meet I was at on Saturday had three state records broken. And then during the mile some kid finished with a 58.3 quarter.

8. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Cross country isn't so bad. Just have to wait for the participants to quit puking before asking the questions. Kind of learned that the hard way.

Track and Field isn't too bad, but the length of time you are there sucks.

High School tennis would get my vote. Can't imagine the suckitude that would accompany having to cover that. Fortunately for me, hasn't happened yet. Hope it never does

9. Football_Bat

The only thing worse than track is field.

Unless you're covering a potential 2016 Olympic gold medalist.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

That depends on your story. I won an award for a story I wrote on a 12-2 game in a state championship baseball series. There was a really compelling side story to this team that made it an easy write.

The sport I have the most trouble with is volleyball. I know enough about it to know generally which players are playing well, but not enough to really know how to do meaningful stats (kills and digs, etc.) which would flesh out the story.

11. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Love track. Used to hate track agate.

12. Football_Bat

Camera-ready track agate is the next-best thing to an aphrodisiac.

Draft saved Draft deleted