1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great take on Arizona immigration flap via sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cyclingwriter, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How much of a gap is there between a driver's license (or Social Security) card and a national ID card? I realize driver's licenses are issued by states. I also recall the requirement to submit Social Security or driver's license numbers when requesting event credentials.

There might be a coalition between some liberals and conservatives to oppose a national ID card.

2. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

I just don't get the opposition to a national ID card. Between your driver's license, social security card and passport, the feds have every bit of info on you anyway.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You aren't required, legally, to have any of those things.

There's an important distinction between the people allowing the government to exist and the government telling the people they only exist because the government allows it.

4. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Well, you really can't get a job today without presenting a SS card and a DL, so I think you're making a very, very fine distinction. But let's just say the card would be entirely voluntary - you wouldn't have to have one, but employers would be allowed to make employment contingent on showing it. Then we're in the same situation we have now - the government's not making you have a DL or SS card, but realistically you need one to work.

Why would anyone oppose that? In the end, I just don't get it. The only people who should be afraid of a national ID card are illegal immigrants, criminals, tax dodgers and others who are essentially afraid of having their identity discovered.

5. cortez

cortez Member

I agree with you. Texas is one fucked up state

6. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Cortez, your name sounds Hispanic, could I see your papers please?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just the other day Ubaldo Jimenez was detained in Scottsdale.

8. RickStain

To pretend that only criminals need fear police with ever-increasing power is to intentionally ignore the entirety of human history.

9. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

To pretend that a national ID card would lead to a police state would ignore the fact that it's required in most Western democracies. National ID cards have never - NEVER - played even a small part in the RISE of a police state. They have been used as a tool BY police states, but that's a different argument since A) we don't have a police state, and B) it's going to take a helluva lot more than national ID cards to put the most stable democracy in history on the road to one.

It's libertarian paranoia at its most laughable.

10. RickStain

As long as the national ID card isn't mandatory carry, I'm not sure I see the need for it, but I'm not vehemently opposed to it either.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pretty obvious argument here that we're the most stable democracy in history precisely because our founding principles prevent things like Identity Cards and Loyalty Oaths.

12. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Well, first of all, loyalty oaths have been passed by multiple states, most of them in the 1950s. The only reason we don't have them is because our supreme court struck them down. So it wasn't obvious to everyone that our founding fathers prevented such things. It would be interesting to see if our current supreme court would have struck them down. Maybe not.

Second, I'd like to think the reason we're the most stable democracy in history goes way, way beyond superficial things like ID cards and loyalty oaths. Again, see Western Europe. An ID card is nothing more than a national DL and it's going to happen eventually, mark it down.

And, Rick, the reason you'd want such cards, even if they weren't mandated to be carried, is so that employers could insist on them when you change jobs. That ONE requirement would be the single biggest thing we could do to stop illegal immigration - no jobs for illegals means a lot fewer illegals.

Draft saved Draft deleted