1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great take on Arizona immigration flap via sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cyclingwriter, Apr 30, 2010.

1. And, of course, the next step will be the outrage at the "liberal activist judges" who will inevitably strike it down.

Here's an idea: Write laws that the courts can uphold, and the courts will uphold them.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This year will be the last time I watch an All-Star game if they move the game from Arizona. I'm so proud to live in a country in which political correctness is an ecclesia.

3. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Political correctness? Umm, it's called the constitution.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Bullshit. There are plenty of hot-button political issues going on in other states, so why not strip them of sporting events? Not happy with Texas' stance on gay marriage? OK, let's move the Super Bowl. You can couch your arguments in constitutionality or bad law or "driving while brown." But when it comes right down to it, there are way too many people in this country who care more about appearing politically correct than they do about people breaking the law.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you are operating a motor vehicle, you obviously have to have a license.

But if you are just walking down the street, you are *not* required to have identification. You are required to identify yourself to police if asked, and you are required to turn over any identification if you have it on you, but you cannot be charged with a crime merely for not having any identification on you.

It used to be considered a fairly fundamental freedom that American citizens weren't required to carry papers to be produced upon the government's request. It seems like people are throwing that aside, and I'm disappointed.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If more than a quarter of NFL players were gay, they might take a stand against the gay marriage law.

About 27% of MLB players are Latino. They've got a legitimate stake in this.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Please. These boycotts are being pushed by grandstanding attention whores that make Arizona legislators look like minor-leaguers.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"I just did, didn't you read the quote?"

They are related, right? They have to be. Someone ask the internet.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

This is an issue where the true Libertarians get ferreted out from the conservatives... and the Tea Partiers get separated from the Republicans.

If you're really, really, really a Libertarian or a Tea Partier, you say, "Government, stay out of my biz'ness" and therefore think this law is horrid.

If you're really a conservative or a Republican, you say, "Law and Order!"

For me, it's fun to call out the fake Libertarians.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I care a helluva lot more about leaving the door open to unchecked police discretion than about whether some Mexicans make it across the border. The nation has grown through the addition of immigrants. The nation was founded on the principle of authorities not having too much unchecked discretion.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

The legislator is the great-grandson of the Hall of Famer.

As well as the third husband of Mary Bono.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

This, right here.

The most ironic part about this is the more the right and Tea Partiers complain about illegal immigrants, the more they're pushing us toward national ID cards (which I'm fine with, but they hate).

Draft saved Draft deleted