1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great sports movies: Greased Lightning

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, May 9, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Last night, I stumbled upon the 1977 movie "Greased Lightning" on MOJO, one of many channels I had no idea I got. "Greased Lightning" is the biopic about Wendell Scott, NASCAR's first black driver, and the only one to win a race. It was a fairly low-budget movie that had a great cast, with Richard Pryor as Scott, as well as Pam Grier, Cleavon Little and Julian Bond -- yeah, the Congressman. I remember seeing this movie frequently because it ran repeatedly on cable movie channels in their, and my, early days.

Two questions to throw out:

1. Does "Greased Lightning" belong in the pantheon of great sports movies?

2. Given how forgotten this movie is (and I forgotten about it even though I had seen it many times), and how popular NASCAR is, is now a good time for a remake? Will Smith as Wendell Scott, anyone?
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good Richard Pryor movie. (He did make a bunch of stinkers).

I think it's certainly an enjoyable sports movie. Not sure it's among the greats. Near great, maybe.
  3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not a bad idea at all for a remake, although certainly we should be able to find someone other than the standards, like Will Smith, Cuba Gooding or Denzel Washington. A new face would be great for that role.
  4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

It was an okay-to-pretty good movie. Wendell Scott was an amazing driver whose stats come off as above average, but when you realize he had few sponsors and little-to-no factory support (and you could argue, little help from other drivers, perhaps), the number of top tens he pulled off and his overall stats were quite impressive.

I'd hate to see Will Smith fuck up another biopic.
  5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Great: No
    Remake: No. 99% of remakes suck
  6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Speaking of sports, if anyone has read Last Lap, I'm willing to bet there's a couple of movie ideas somewhere in that book, just begging to be made.
    Surely a movie about Fireball Roberts would make for some real excitement. Or the early days of Daytona racing.
Draft saved Draft deleted