1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great shows that were too smart for audiences

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D-3 Fan, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Tried watching it a few times, but I just can't stand Jon Lovitz -- even in cartoon form.

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I'll add my voice to those championing The Critic. It was Family Guy before there was Family Guy, with all of its pop-culture and celebrity sendups.

Also liked Hooperman and loved Police Squad.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Thank God for this thread. Otherwise, I would have never known to add the average television viewer to the list of people that journalists look down upon.

4. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Anyone recall "Herman's Head?"

I always thought it was a cute concept.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, most of us ARE average television viewers. Just because we liked shows that didn't click doesn't mean we liked ALL shows that didn't click.

I've liked plenty of shitty shows that have been dissed on here. Doesn't make me better or worse than the "average television viewers" you think I look down upon.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

The thread title just struck me as stupid. Why not, "Great shows that never got their due," or "Great shows that shouldn't have been cancelled." Just the implication that people are stupid if they like something you don't or don't like somethig you do is a pet peeve. I like what I like and don't like what I don't like. Some of those things are mainstream, some of those things are not. I don't want to try to be average or try not to be average. Either way, you're tying too hard.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, I've mentioned it before, and here goes again ... "Class of '96," ran in 1992 on FOX. Outstanding show, never got a chance. Jason Gedrick ... Lisa Dean Ryan ... Beth Ward ... and that lovable little sprite, Ms. Kari Wuhrer.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, I think it was taken off another thread (as referenced in the first post) so he/she called it something related. Don't think it was a conscious slam job.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Fair enough.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

So, you think there's never been a show that didn't stand a chance because it was too smart?

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Fantastic call on the Critic. I absolutely loved that show, and I saw every episode about 6 times thanks to Comedy Central's late-nite re-airings.

The characters were great, but the parodies were the best, especially all of those with Orson Wells. "Mmmm... Rosebud. Rosebud frozen peas. Full of essential vitamins and green pea-ness." I miss it. Is it out on DVD?

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn, Dooley, you making me feel older at 30. The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd and the MILFish Blair Brown(?) I was a sucker for the opening music. It was jazzy and mellow. It fit well with that show.

Herman's Head was something I had to warm up to several times before I found it enjoyable. Hank Azaria, Yardley Smith, and two other characters inside Herman's Head and he goes about his merry way, as they debate what Herman should do next.

Sorry Pallister, but I just thought of a thread on the fly after reading Studio 60 comments tonight. If Moddy feels the title needs to be changed, he'll make a suggestion and let me know. I'll change it if he says so. I can't afford to piss off the bosses tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted