1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great/sad ESPN Mother's Day story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, May 11, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I don't think I've read much by Chris Palmer, but I like Chris Andersen, so I clicked on the story.

Great read.

Tireless research and fantastic quotes. I think hre doesn't quote Andersen until the very end, but it completely works.

I love when ESPN does these holiday stories - Wright Thompson's on Father's Day last year was my favorite story...ever... - and this one is very good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=Andersen-080511

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Well-worth the read.

But this line kinda bothered me, and it's such a throwaway:

An improbable journey from the backwoods of Texas, where kids are more likely to get hooked on meth than play AAU ball, had reached its end point.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Because you don't think it's true?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Frankly, the story doesn't leave me with much sympathy for either son or mother: Andersen's problems, portrayed as usual in a 'struggling-athlete-battles-his-demons' story as more or less random acts of God which unexpectedly derailed his career completely out of the blue, were all the result of his own drug-taking stupidity, and Mom just seems to be pissed her golden goose ain't laying no eggs.

::) ::)

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Couldn't it at least have specifically mentioned what drugs he used? Wasn't it heroin? I just thought that detail was pretty important in this story.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

It's never been 100 pct proven/admitted what drugs he was taking.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In the long run, meth might be better for a kid than AAU ball.

8. Boobie Miles

If you're going to do all of that reporting wouldn't that be one of the biggies you'd want to find out?

I'm not knocking this story. I just don't like these redemption stories when they don't give the full side to things. There's no need to sanitize the story; just tell it and I'll decide how I feel about it. This just read like "old Birdman sure was eccentric but he had no control over everyone who was hanging on and making him do dumb, self-destructive things."

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If Andersen isn't talking, there is no way to know what he was taking. I'm not even sure if the teams find out.

10. Boobie Miles

OK, well my more general critique still stands. This seemed unnecessarily glossy.

Draft saved Draft deleted