1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great recap of the 70s Stillers by Post Gazette

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sports scrub, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Does Noll have Diabetes?
    He did look huge... I mean Ralph Friedgen big.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think a little bit of a better sized shirt would have helped. Nothing should be tight on the gut.

3. I saw the shirt, but I was stunned by his pants.
    They were soo big. So wide.
    It was amazing.

I thought it was pretty cool that Tomlin seemed struck by Noll and his presence. Noll has kept a pretty low profile for the last several years. I haven't seen him in the news since he was a guest conductor for the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra several years (at least 10) ago.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Admit it, you only included this list because the Bucs are on it. Oh, and as a Steeler fan, I dislike many Steelers fans because they do tend to be loud and obnoxious, as well as extreme bandwagon jumpers as the late 90s early 00s showed time and again.

5. 93Devil

And when did Chuck keep a high profile?

What is funny is that he was such a stone faced, tight lipped head coach, but the interviews he does post career are very good and funny.

Hey, I have a feeling Mr. Rooney nailed his third coach in a row. I might be into my 50s when the Steelers are looking for their next coach. I have been very impressed. Hopefully Faneca feels the same way.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Damn skippy. Just because a sect of fans acts one way, that doesn't mean we're all that way. People can rip Steelers fans all they want, but we are a passionate and very loyal group.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I remember that guest conductor appearance. I think that is the last time I saw him, too. Saw him in person late in 1993 and I was amazed at the change in personality. He seemed VERY happy to be retired. Hope he gets to enjoy that retirement for many more years to come.

93Devil, it might be a tad early on Tomlin, though he has been impressive so far. Long term, I'm still wondering what he will be like without LeBeau and with his own team rather than what Cowher left him.

I would be shocked if anything this year turns Faneca around. He's gone.

8. 93Devil

I sip my shot and raise my beer to that statement.

9. 93Devil

The Steelers did not become great until Dan Rooney took a major role in the front office. When he passes on, is what scares me the most.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/29/AR2006012901145.html

10. Faneca should be gone.
    Under Tom Donahue, the Steelers had an unwritten rule (at least I think it was unwritten) not to sign any big money players after age 30.
    They left a large number of players approaching the big 3-0 whose contract were up for renegotiation go.
    Levon Kirkland (one of my all-time favs)
    Chad Brown
    Greg Lloyd
    I'm pretty sure Kordell Stewart, though he might not have been 30.
    Recently, Joey Porter
    There are more, but I can't think of them right now.

11. 93Devil

But if any position in the NFL has a long shelf life, it's a guard.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Stewart was a different situation because, well, he sucked.

But overall you are correct. And more often than not, the teams that have signed these guys have regretted it. Not always (Rod Woodson was an exception), but often enough not to argue with the policy.

Truth is, I don't see them having a choice at this point. I think extending Simmons pretty much slammed the door on that option.

Draft saved Draft deleted