1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great recap of the 70s Stillers by Post Gazette

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sports scrub, Oct 7, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

At the risk of catching flak from the black and gold faithful here, I gotta ask...exactly why did this belong in the P-G this weekend? Was there an anniversary or something? Is this year's team getting tiresome already?

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yes, because the steel mill industry collapsed in he 80s and sent half of the population scattering like cockroaches when the lights come on. I'm from Pittsburgh and had this argument with a fellow Pittsburgh-born friend last year when he brought up the "Steelers fans travel well" argument and I screamed bullshit. They traveled well 20 years ago when they all moved to Florida, San Diego, Houston and Charlotte to make a living because the city had no jobs and an absurd unemployment rate.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yinzers wouldn't be so ugly if they knew how to dress. Wearing a Kordell jersey to the bank in the year 2007 is not even remotely cool - even in an ironic way.

Another gripe is the delusional mentality. Criticism of their own is not something Stiller faithful do well. When shit is shit, they don't see it and I would argue that they're not the brightest bulbs in the bunch when it comes to talking strategy.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

In defense of most Steelers fans, the same thing is true in every sport and every city.

5. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

That is definitely as true today as then, I am under 30 and living in a different part of the country because of lack of employment opportunities in the area, although from what I hear, it is starting to rebound, that being said, it is now a beautiful city now that the steel mills are gone and if I had the right opportunity I would move back in a second ...

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's a great line. And if I'm being really honest, I could replace "Yinzers" with "Cheeseheads" and "Kordell" with "Don Majkowski". Though sporting Majik Man gear is kinda cool in an ironic way.

Never mind, replace "Don Majkowski" with "Bill Schroeder" or "Chris Gizzi".

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Don't know for sure, but it's the Steelers' 75th season, and they probably waited until baseball season was over so they'd have all the space they needed for the package ... just a guess

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pretty much right. It is part of a series running because it is the team's 75th season. If you look at the bottom of the story, they are going to have a piece on the '80s next week.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The spreading of Pittsburgh natives to all corners of the nation is true. I am in Virginia now because of the lack of work in PA. But the converse to this is Buffalo, Cincinnati and Cleveland all suffered as well in the late 70s and early 80s, but you do not see their stickers and jerseys in the same amount as Pittsburgh's? Buffalo is second, but it is not close.

Why?

Since 1972ish, the Steelers have put a competitive team on the field. Sure, there have been some 6-10 dogs in there, but there has not been a 3-4-5 year drought in that time. No one drafts better than the Steelers. No one. For example, a 14-15 year old kid cannot remember a Redskin team that was a contender. Pittsburgh just has never had a similar drought.

The lack of success in Cleveland and Cincy I think has a lot to do with their tepid public following. When someone asks me about the Steelers, I ask so where are you from? About 20 percent of the time the fan is not from the city but adopted the team because of their success in the 70s and the 80s and the 90s and today. The success of the 90s is probably the reason for seeing more Bills gear out and about today.

As for the fans?

Would I rather sit next to a guy wearing a faded Steeler jersey with a shot and beer in front of him or a person wearing a crisp, new, 150-dollar, authentic jersey? Give me the shot and a beer every time because I know they will be there next week and the week after no matter how the team is doing.

Oh, I hope Chuck Noll is doing better than he looks. That surprised a lot of us on Sunday.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I missed that with Noll, 93Devil. I heard them mention him, but didn't get a chance to look at the screen. Hope he's not in bad health. Great coach and one of the smartest men I've ever met.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He was very heavy and walking with a cane.

From the PG...

"Chuck Noll, the only four-time Super Bowl winning coach, was honored before the game and made a rare public appearance.

Noll, who has back problems that have kept him out of the limelight the past few years, used a cane to walk onto the field with his wife, Marianne. He was greeted by a loud standing ovation in Heinz Field, where the Steelers are celebrating their 75th Season.

One of those who introduced himself to Noll was Tomlin.

"I took a moment to go over and shake his hand and introduce myself," Tomlin said. "I was in awe of the man. We are all walking on the ground that he paved."

Thankfully it is just his back and not organ related.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yes, when they had their one great quarterback, blessed with an offensive system ahead of its time.

Draft saved Draft deleted